Monday, 7 September 2015

Homemade Balsamic Tomato Ketchup

Rich and wonderfully flavoursome, this homemade tomato ketchup is made from a bumper harvest of homegrown tomatoes - it deserves to accompany everything!
Homemade Balsamic Tomato Ketchup - low sugar so you can put it on everything without the guilt!
I don't think I have ever told you just how much I love tomato sauce. I've hinted at it here and here and listed it as one of my addictions here but still, that doesn't quite cover it. I'd call it a guilty pleasure but I'm ot in the least bit guilty at how often I eat it. I once joked to my friends that as long as the new place we were going to for a meal had tomato sauce I'd be fine. When we got there that evening, one of them immediately threw a sachet down the table to me. I was happy for the rest of the evening.
Homemade Balsamic Tomato Ketchup - low sugar so you can put it on everything without the guilt!
I was adding so much of it to most of my meals that even I realised I was havig to buy a new bottle far too regularly. It is well know that these shelf stable condiments are full of sugar and salt - you only have to read the nutritional information for proof. But hey, this homemade tomato sauce only has one tablespoon of brown sugar and one tablespoon of treacle in the entire batch so I can eat more right?
Homemade Balsamic Tomato Ketchup - low sugar so you can put it on everything without the guilt!
It was only natural that at some point I would make my own version of something I adore. I didnt get around to it last summer when Mum's greenhouse because a tomato plant jungle but after another bumper crop this year I decided it was time to give it a go. By combining bits of different recipes I came up with this one which has all of my favourite components. A full bodied tomato flavour, a rich savoury tang from the balsamic vinegar and only a minimum amount of sugar to give a touch of sweetness. This doesn't even take into account the aromatic blend of spices, the vibrant colour or the perfect texture. This is good for you tomato ketchup.
Homemade Balsamic Tomato Ketchup - low sugar so you can put it on everything without the guilt!
Put it on your sandwiches (bacon!!!!), dip chips in it, stir it into stews or have a dollop on the side of a cottage pie and you will be hard pushed not to go back for more. I'm planning to make some onion rings soon. Baked though so it can be a virtuous pleasure instead of a guilty one. Seems fair - more scope for more ketchup that way.


print recipe

Homemade Balsamic Tomato Ketchup
Rich and wonderfully flavoursome, this homemade tomato ketchup is made from a bumper harvest of homegrown tomatoes - it deserves to accompany everything!
Ingredients
  • 1kg tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
  • 120 ml balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp mustard or 0.5 tsp mustard powder
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp treacle or molasses
  • 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp garlic puree
Instructions
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan - you can soften the onions in a little oil first for extra flavour if you prefer. 2. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 30 mins, stirring from time to time. Blend until smooth - a stick blender is easiest.3. If the sauce is the desired consistency pour into sterilised bottles or jars straight away. If it is still too thin, continue to simmer until the desired thickness is reached - remember it will thicken on standing.4. Allow the bottles or jars to cool then store in the fridge or another cool place. Enjoy as often as possible.

I'm sending this ketchup off to Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours who shares with Camilla at Fab Food 4 All because when you are wondering what to do with a large harvest of tomatoes, or find yourself with a bargain bag of them, this is the perfect recipe. Also to No Waste Food Challenge for the same reason. This month Claire from Foodie Quine is hosting on behalf of Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.

13 comments:

  1. It's great that you make your own ketchup. It's healthier for sure, but it's interesting how it looks nothing like store bought ketchup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the colour would put some people off but if you can get past that it is wonderful. It does taste like tomato sauce - only a more refined additive free version. Lots more flavour. And the brown is only from the balsamic vinegar anyway :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious! I'm almost tempted to buy a bunch of tomatoes to try this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! And if you find it so good you want to eat it neat (not that I'd know anything about that) then with so little added sugar it's not exactly bad for you!

      Delete
  3. That sounds fantastic. I don't like Tomato Ketchup at all but this is worlds apart for the red squirty stuff! Thanks for linking up to #NoWasteFood Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made homemade barbecue sauce but it was from canned tomatoes. I am curious to try this out with the ripe fresh tomatoes while they are still available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not made ketchup for years - and you have inspired me to have another go. Thanks for sharing with #creditcrunchmunch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness me this sounds absolutely, positively, heavenly! I'm a big fan of tomato sauce too (and balsamic vinegar!). Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely like this then! My pleasure, as always :)

      Delete
  7. BlueHost is the best website hosting company for any hosting services you need.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!