Monday, 17 August 2015

Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies

Crisp edges and a soft chewy centre showcase the caramel nutty flavours of these brown butter cookies studded with milk chocolate chips.
Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies - includes how to make brown butter
Do you have a baking bucket list? I do - it gets longer and longer every day. Recipes and techniques get added to it from a whole host of different places. Sometimes from a memory I've had, sometimes from recipe books and sometimes from the internet, namely Pinterest.  
Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies - includes how to make brown butter
I don't remember where exactly I first heard about brown butter (or should that be browned butter?) but I was intrigued. It sounded a bit, well, wrong. And then I started to read and was soon converted. What could be more wonderful than the combination of buttery, nutty caramel flavours? I held back from trying it straight away because it sounded like something I would find difficult. You have to cook butter until the milk solids start to caramelise and turn brown and I was convinced I'd let it go too far and end up with the burned black butter that most people want to avoid. Finally last week I gave it a try and was amazed at how easy it is. I even did it twice in one morning because I forgot I was only doing half the recipe when I added the full amount of sugar so had to quicly double up everything else. Ending up with double the amount of cookies intended was no bad thing!
Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies - includes how to make brown butter
The flavour of these cookies is divine. First is the caramel tones of the brown sugar. On top of that is a new luscious caramel flavour. Something golden and toasted, something extra. The creaminess of the hand cut milk chocolate chunks really highlights the brown butter, adding just enough of a cocoa hit to complement but not overpower. Using melted butter provides the perfect starting point for my one bowl, no mixer favourite cookie texture too - the slight resistance of the crisp outer edges with a soft and chewy core. Not too thick and not too thin. Perfect.
Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies - includes how to make brown butter
My brother who was visitng at the time certainly thought so. He kept going back for another one after all. Ok, so I got slightly miffed when he couldn't tell there was brown butter in there but I quickly forgave him when he professed how delicious he thought they were. It's ok, he doesn't bake often. He wouldn't know. But I'm sure you do. And to show you just how easy making brown (browned?) butter really is I've included photos of each stage so you can see it. Don't be afraid. Give it a go and you will get a wonderful reward. 


print recipe

Brown Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
Crisp edges and a soft chewy centre showcase the caramel nutty flavours of these brown butter cookies studded with milk chocolate chips.
Ingredients
  • 150g butter
  • 100g granulated sugar
  • 100g soft brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg + 1 large yolk
  • 285g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 0.75 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 175g milk chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. First brown the butter - see pictures below to help. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat (stage 1) and continue to heat until it begins to bubble (stage 2) and then foam (stage 3). Whisk vigourously until the foaming begins to subside and the solids at the bottom turn golden brown. Stop before they turn black. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool.2. Mix the sugars into the cooled brown butter followed by the vanilla extract then the egg and yolk. Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and stir together until just combined. Stir in the chocolate.3. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Place balls of dough onto the sheet (mine were about 28g each) and bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 mins. Remove from the oven and press down slightly to flatten and press a few extra chocolate chunks into the tops if you wish. 4. After a few minutes on the baking sheet, transfer to a wire cooling rack and repeat until the cookie dough is used up. 

I'm sending these cookies off to CookBlogShare hosted by Kerry at Kerry Cooks.

4 comments:

  1. These look super yummy! I haven't tried browned butter in cookies yet but I've used it in blondies and it's insanely tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done cupcakes with it so blondes are my next stop. I can imagine how wonderful it tastes already.

      Delete
  2. So yummy! I love brown sugar! I found you via the pretty pintastic link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! I hope to see you back here again!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!