Thursday, 9 July 2015

White Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies

Creamy white chocolate combines with coconut to give a cookie with crisp edges and a chewy centre. Deliciously moreish, they feel a bit lighter for summer but can be enjoyed all year round. 
White Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies - crisp edges, chewy centres and oly one bowl needed
After a week of having no internet in my new house it is such a relief to be able to sit at ease in my parents house and write instead of in the university library. I'll be backwards and forwards between the two places all summer so I'm taking advantage while I can. 
White Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies - crisp edges, chewy centres and oly one bowl needed
I really like having my own house. When I first moved in there were several things that I was really uneasy about so I got a bit down and thought I'd wasted loads of money but everything is coming together now. I'm not quite ready to put my brand new Kenwood Chef in it's place but I'm not far off. I have picked what I'm going to christen it with though. It's going to be gorgeous. If it doesn't make it to the blog itwill definitely go on my Facebook page so make sure to pop over to have a look. Or you can click like on the box to the right. 
White Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies - crisp edges, chewy centres and oly one bowl needed
So these cookies. Nobody is tired of chocolate chip cookie variations right? I woke up fancying coconut and white chocolate. Lemon zest would be fantastic in these too but I wasn't fancying that at the time. The result was something that had me itching for my mum to get back from work so I could have one with a cup of tea. It was hard going, waiting for her to walk through the door. The craggy, crackly tops called, taunting me with their crisp edges. With each bite the exterior provides the perfect amount of resistance before you reach the illustrious chewy interior that every batch of chocolate chip cookies should have. The little specks of coconut provide a fresh texture while the sweet and creamy white chocolate chips are nuggets of vanilla heaven. Like I say, I don't know how I managed to resist for so long. I must have been ill when I made them.
White Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies - crisp edges, chewy centres and oly one bowl needed
The base recipe uses just one bowl and is one I've used countless times because it is my favourite but oddly enough I hardly ever publish those recipes. I'm not sure why really. At least I can point you towards two - these Aero Bubbles cookies and this giant cookie. If coconut isn't your thing (and it really should be, if only for the sake of these cookies) then how about something else with white chocolate in? Peanut butter is a particularly good combination and surprisingly, so is green tea. Right now, personally, I'm looking forward to my supper, just so I have an excuse to eat another one.



print recipe

White Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
Creamy white chocolate combines with coconut to give a cookie with crisp edges and a chewy centre. Deliciously moreish, they feel a bit lighter for summer but can be enjoyed all year round. Only one bowl required too.
Ingredients
  • 115g butter, melted
  • 200g granulated sugar
  • 30g dark soft brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg + 1 large yolk
  • 285g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 0.75 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 120g dessicated coconut
  • 200g white chocolate chips
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.2. Whisk together the melted butter and sugars then mix in the vanilla followed by the egg and yolk. Sift in the flour, baking powder and raising agents and stir until just combined into a thick dough. 3. Stir in the coconut and chocolate chips. You may need to squueze the dough together because it will be thick.4. Place scoops of dough onto the lined baking sheet - mine weighed about 30g each. Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 mins dependingon how crisp you like cookies. Press each cookie gently if you prefer flatter cookies.Leave on the sheet for a few mins then carefully remove to a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.


I'm sendig these cookies off to CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes and to Casa Costello for Helen's Bake of the Week.

9 comments:

  1. I don't know how you held off eating them either, I'd probably have eaten 3 before my mum got in the door! Haha. I love the little plate/saucer they're sitting on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. I love looking for pretty crockery and this set was a charity shop find :)

      Delete
  2. Yum! Lovely cookies Laura. White chocolate and coconut sounds a delicious combo!
    So exciting to have your own house too.... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so good... It looks like the prefect cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely not tired of any variation of cookie! I'm a cookie fanatic! These sound delicious! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them! And support the never ending variety of cookies...

      Delete
  5. FreedomPop is Britian's #1 ABSOLUTELY FREE mobile phone provider.

    Voice, text & data plans costing you £0.00/month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!