Monday, 6 July 2015

Cheese and Marmite Muffins

Sharp yet creamy cheese with the salty strength of the infamous Marmite makes these soft muffins perfect for all those Marmite lovers out there at any time of day.
Cheese and Marmite Savoury Muffins - perfect for breakfast or sandwich alternative
Last Friday I moved house. It's my first house chosen just for me and there are a million ways in which it is a big change but the one I want to focus on is that it is the first place I will be living outside of my parents home that isn't student accommodation. It has made me realise just how homey I am. I want to do all sorts to the house though I will admit right now the biggest thing I want to change is the manky sitting room carpet and kitchen flooring. Alas it is a rental property so I'm stuck with it. I have just spent a good two hours looking at pretty rugs to cover as much of it up as possible though.
Cheese and Marmite Savoury Muffins - perfect for breakfast or sandwich alternative
I might try and get a piece of lino for the kitchen. That's right - my own kitchen!!!!! I'm going a bit mad with it to be honest. To celebrate results day I ordered myself the mixer I have been dreaming of for months and months. It is currently sat in it's box waiting for me to get the rest of the kitchen sorted so I can put it in pride of place when the time comes. I'm also having red appliances and I've got matching strawberry place mats, coasters, tray, glass chopping board, mugs...yes, I'm obsessed. It's also an expensive time so it's a good job I've been good with money for years.
Cheese and Marmite Savoury Muffins - perfect for breakfast or sandwich alternative
One thing I'm doing to save money is to not have internet installed until close to when I start my PhD. Unfortunately it does mean that I haven't been able to do any blog stuff and hence why I'm sat in the university library waffling about moving house when really I should be telling  you about these cheese and Marmite muffins. It took me a while to fall in love with savoury muffins but now the bug has bitten hard. The base is wonderfully soft and perfectly moist, and for once stays so even after two or three days - a rare thing for a muffin. The flavour is incredible. The nutty Red Leicester and crumbly Wensleydale work wonders, melding and swirling throughout the base mixture meeting the salty savoury Marmite head on. The tang of the cheese is not dulled at all though that little cap of melted cheese on top is a welcome finish. Like a little treat to the very last bite.
Cheese and Marmite Savoury Muffins - perfect for breakfast or sandwich alternative
I know Marmite is not for everyone but even if you don't like it personally this recipe deserves to be saved and baked for those Marmite lovers in your life. Add an extra flavour surprise for them by swirling a teaspoon into the top of each one before baking. If you really can't stand the taste of the stuff why not add pesto instead like these stuffed cornbread muffins? Both are equally good as an alternative to toast at breakfast or a sandwich at lunch. I've had so many successes with these base recipe, adapting it from my favourite sweet muffin base that I know you will love it too in what ever guise you choose.


print recipe

Cheeseand Marmite Muffins
Sharp yet creamy cheese with the salty strength of the infamous Marmite makes these soft muffins perfect for all those Marmite lovers out there at any time of day.
Ingredients
  • 190g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp mustard powder
  • 50g Wensleydale, crumbled
  • 20g + 30g Red Leicester, grated
  • 60ml oil
  • 115ml milk mixed with 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 dsp Marmite, or to taste
  • Paprika
Instructions
1. Set the ovento 220 C/200 C fan and line a 6 hole muffin tray with paper muffin cases.2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and mustard powder. Toss in the Wensleydale and 20g Red Leicester. In a separate bowl mix together the oil, milk/vinegar, egg and Marmite.3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined - a few flour lumps are ok. Sprinkle the 30g Red Leicester over the muffins and add a dash of paprika. 4. Divide between the cases and bake in the preheated oven for 5 mins then lower the temperature to 180 C/160 C fan and bake for a further 13-15 mins until a cake tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.5. Carefully remove the muffins from the tray to cool on a wire rack.

I'm sharing these muffins with Dom from, Belleau Kitchen who has chosen a breakfast theme for his Simply Eggcellent this month. I enjoyed these for breakfast for several days when I made them. Also with Jac's Meat Free Mondays at Tinned Tomatoes - use a veggie friendly cheese and you are good to go. Helen at Casa Costello made savoury muffins for her Bake of the Week too.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE marmite, these look delicious!!! My son would devour these. Visiting from Casa Costello

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! I do hope you get to make some - they are so versatile and go well with so many ac.ompaniments,

      Delete
  2. These look portable to eat on the run, I am not a marmite lover off a spoon but happy to eat it like this.As you say Muffins never stay fresh long so will they freeze to be grabbed out in the morning on the way out the door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry meant to say welcome to your first home, exciting times, and yes private renting does leave you with traits you dont want. Over from Belleau Kitchen

      Delete
    2. Hello and welcome and thank you! I haven't tried freezing these muffins but I have done with sweet muffins based off the same recipe and there were lovely defrosted. I see no reason why it wouldn't work as you suggest for these though. Do let me know the outcome if you try it.

      Delete
  3. you see, i'm really not that much of a marmite lover but the way you've paired it with the cheese and the mustard powder, well, they look fantastic and I would totally devour these any time of the day! Thanks so much for linking up with Simply Eggcellent x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it sounds like there is a little room for conversion ;) glad you like the idea of these

      Delete
  4. FreedomPop is Britian's #1 ABSOLUTELY FREE mobile phone provider.

    Voice, text & data plans starting at £0.00/month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Start following our signals right now & gain up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!