Thursday, 30 April 2015

Malted Chocolate Easter Naked Cake

I know, I know, Easter has come and gone. Look at it this way, I'm either a bit late or very, very early. Either way, does it really matter when there is cake involved?
Malted Chocolate Easter Naked Cake full of flavour. Made with Cadbury mini eggs and Ovaltine
I've been revising hard. As hard as someone who gets distracted easily can. But I needed both a rest and a slice of cake so I did what I unusually do in these circumstances. I scoured Pinterest, my recipe books and finally my huge file of recipe clippings until this one caught my eye.
Malted Chocolate Easter Naked Cake full of flavour. Made with Cadbury mini eggs and Ovaltine
It was quick, easy, FULL of chocolate, gave me chance to make something Eastery and it satisfied the feeling I had to make a naked cake. I feel slightly wrong saying I wanted to bake a naked cake but It's the truth. They are made for me and my lack of desire to learn how to decorate cakes properly.
Malted Chocolate Easter Naked Cake full of flavour. Made with Cadbury mini eggs and Ovaltine
The all in one method makes this cake wonderfully quick. The malt flavour stands proudly in the background pushing the chocolate sponge to a rich and creamy state. So soft and yielding are the cake layers you will want to sink into them, safe in the knowledge you are in the most delicious of surroundings. The chocolate malt buttercream inside and again on top makes for the perfect contrast. Smooth and reliable, there to turn to for confirmation that this cake really does taste this good. Decorate with whatever chocolates you fancy and as much of it as possible.
The addition of boiling water makes it almost fudge like in texture. Stick with me and just go with it. You will be well rewarded.

Malted Chocolate Easter Naked Cake
Cuts into about 12 slices
A well rounded chocolate cake with a malted milky sweetness filled and topped with malt chocolate fudge buttercream and finished with Cadbury mini eggs. Made using the super quick all in one method.









Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 175g tub margarine or butter, softened
  • 175g caster sugar 
  • 3 large eggs
  • 175g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 25g cocoa powder
  • 50g Ovaltine
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream and decoration:
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 200g icing sugar
  • 50g Ovaltine
  • 25g cooa powder
  • 2 tbsp boiling water
  • 1 sharing bag of Cadbury mini eggs
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and grease/line two 7" or 8" round cake tins.
2. Place all the the cake ingredients into a bowl and mix with an electric mixture until smooth and just combined.
3. Divide the mixture between the two tins and level off. Bake for about 25 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 mins then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the buttercream, beat the butter until creamy and very soft. Sieve in portions of the icing sugar, cocoa powder and Ovaltine, mixing between each addition. Add the boiling water and mix again until combined. Continue mixing until the buttercream is soft and fluffy, or the texture you prefer it.
5. Place one cake on a plate and spread half of the buttercream on top. Spread the remaining buttercream on the other cake then place on top of the first layer so the two buttercream layers are not touching. Decorate with the Cadbury mini eggs.

I'm sharing these cookies with CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes and Bake of the Week run by Helen from Casa Costello. Also, Love Cake run by Ness at JibberJabberUk where the theme for May is Colour Me Pretty. As a June update, I'm also sharing this cake with Recipe Clippings run by Janice at Farmersgirl Kitchen. There is no theme this month so I can enter, though I can't remember which magazine I pulled the original recipe out of !

31 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love a big, dense piece of chocolate cake on a plate! Right, this one's on the schedule to bake asap. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm..... Sounds like the perfect break from revision and I always think 'naked' cakes look like proper cakes! Who's silly suggestion was it to name them 'naked' like there is something missing? No no no! They invite you to enjoy their sumptuous interior with no pretension!
    This looks like the perfect cake to me..... The butter cream looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good point Kate, I hadn't thought of it like that before. And that buttercream really is wonderful, I swear it's using boiling water that does it.

      Delete
  3. That cake looks amazing!! Definitely my kind of cake :) I rarely bother icing the sides of cakes either, too much faffing about! Plus I like being able to see the fat, squidgy layer of icing in the middle as I'm cutting the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo me too definitely. It's extra good and inviting when you see it as you cut through.

      Delete
  4. Wow this looks delicious! My mouth is watering haha and I'm now craving some mini eggs. Thanks for sharing, I came across you on the mix it up monday link party

    Kathryn | Nimble Note

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much! Mini eggs are very addictive aren't they?

      Delete
  5. I want to make this! I have bought me some Ovaltine so it is all systems go... thanks for linking with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I'd love to know what you think. I just know you'll make it gorgeous :)

      Delete
  6. I think I prefer cakes likes this, partly because I'm too lazy to decorate properly and partly because a lot of the time I think they look more inviting when you can see the middle. This looks lovely and chocolatey and a big slice sounds perfect to help with revision :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the rustic look more inviting.

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious, definitely doesn't need to be Easter to enjoy it!! And I love naked cakes, I think if I ever decided to get married (unlikely, but I might be persuaded for the cake) I'd have a naked cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha a good reason ;) if there is less icing I'm sure that means you get to have more cake.

      Delete
  8. Cadbury mini eggs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, this cake sounds amazing! I love the naked look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those eggs on top look so cute! I love the addition of hot water. My one go to recipe for chocolate cake calls for the same thing. Makes it super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there is more evidence for hot water icing! I think I'll be sticking to that method in future now.

      Delete
  11. Looks great! I generally prefer when you can see the cake and can find too much icing takes over. This looks like a nice balance, and always good having mini eggs on top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure there must be bags of Mini Eggs lying around the house still. Better to use them up in a cake than waste them! The chocolate cake looks so light and delicious. I know what it is like when you are revising and doing anything else is better than looking through your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! And I know you'll put those mini eggs to good use ;)

      Delete
  13. just saw this on love cake and I want a big piece - Makes me think I must do some baking with malt - though I wish I could make it so pretty - I have never heard of naked cakes but this is about as decorated as I get most of the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well then, you're already an expert! I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  14. A lovely cake, thanks for adding it to #RecipeClippings

    ReplyDelete
  15. FreedomPop is Britian's first COMPLETELY FREE mobile communications provider.

    Voice, text and data plans provided for £0.00/month (100% FREE).

    ReplyDelete
  16. For both of you who desire to have a chocolate cake and a naked cake you can meet half way like this cake below Chocolate and salted caramel semi naked cake and finishing touch with Marsala coloured blooms and gold dusted blackberries as wedding cake

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a cake perfect for your unique moment. Pick any one of the following: best bakeries in scottsdale az


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!