Thursday, 5 March 2015

Dark Chocolate Buckwheat Muffins - Gluten Free

Have you ever wanted to bake with a particular ingredient, try out your own ideas, after being inspired by things you've seen floating around the internet? That's exactly where these muffins originated from. I'd been wanting to bake with buckwheat flour for ages so when the people at myprotein.com got in touch, I jumped at the chance. Buckwheat flour went straight onto my list of goodies to request.
Dark Chocolate Buckwheat Muffins - Gluten free and good for you
It might seem like a strange brand for a sugar laden blog to work with but myprotein.com sell all sorts of products. They have the typical protein powders, shakes and snacks for those who work out at the gym and want to help build muscle but they also stock sports clothing, nut butters, a range of flours and grains that have health benefits beyond your typical wheat flour, dried fruits, nuts and other baking ingredients like coconut oil. In addition to my buckwheat oil I was tempted by the coconut oil and the 1kg tub of almond butter. I had ideas swimming in front of my eyes straight away. Not least grabbing a spoon and digging right into that tub of almond butter. Have I ever mentioned how much of a peanut butter addict I am? It's perfect revision comfort food. 
Dark Chocolate Buckwheat Muffins - Gluten free and good for you
I couldn't wait to get started so I was particularly pleased when my goodies arrived quickly. I had heard good things about myprotein.com from my brother and one of the PhDs at uni so I'm pleased to say now that I can back them up. That almond butter is going towards some cookies which I will hopefully get to make soon (probably when I'm throwing a tantrum over not being able to find the right words for my dissertation) but it's the coconut oil and the buckwheat flour which are the stars of these muffins. I took my favourite muffin recipe adapted from Sallys Baking Addiction which I've used so many times before. It's super adaptable whether it be for spicy gingerbread, autumnal bonfire toffee apple or  creamy iced latte crumble muffins. These though are something else. A complete success. Sweet and nutty with earthen undertones from the buckwheat flour, the chunks of extra dark chocolate hidden throughout and generously sprinkled on top provide little kicks of cocoa delight. Coconut oil and exract add their own enticing flavours, complementary to the honey replacing the processed sugars. If you want a quick fix to your desire to treat yourself with something delicious, but without being excessively indulgent, then these are the muffins to go for.
Dark Chocolate Buckwheat Muffins - Gluten free and good for you

Ok, so I've tagged this recipe as healthy which isn't strictly true but I did choose a combination of ingredients which do bring their own health benefits to your plate along with tasting lovely. Buckwheat flour, despite its name isn't actually a flour so is suitable for gluten intolerant people. My housemate got to try some of my baking which she hasn't done in a long time! It works really well as a gluten free alternative to plain flour in lots of baked goods. Coconut oil, despite being high in saturated fat has so many more points to recommend itself - Google it and you'll see. I used honey instead of processed sugars so you can be rest assured there and by using 74% dark chocolate there is less fat and sugar, and more iron in these muffins. The perfect dessert. Healthy(ish) and delicious. And now I'm going to ruin all my efforts by pairing one with ice cream. Mmmmmmmm.

Dark Chocolate Buckwheat Muffins
Makes 6 normal sized muffins or 9 cupcake sized muffins
A muffin which oofers benefits for the body, soul AND taste buds using coconut oil, gluten free buckwheat flour and dark chocolate.










Ingredients
  • 190g buckwheat flour e.g. this one
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 0.25 tsp nutmeg
  • 100g dark chocolate. chopped (ideally 70% solids at least)
  • 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 75g honey
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • 120ml buttermilk (or milk or coconut milk + 1dsp vinegar)
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 220 C/2000 C fan and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Sieve together the flour, baking powder and nutmeg. Stir in the chopped chocolate, reserving some for the tops of the muffins if you wish. In a separate bowl or jug whisk together the oil, egg, honey, coconut extract and buttermilk. 
3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined - a bit lumpy is ok. Sprinkle on the reserved chocolate.
4. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes if making 6 normal sized muffins or 13 minutes of making 9 smaller muffins. For both sizes, reduce the oven to 180 C/160 C fan after the first five minutes. When baked, remove from the oven and remove the muffins from the tray to cool on a wire rack.

I'd like to send these off to CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes. Also to Simply Eggcellent - a new challenge run by Dom from Belleau Kitchen. I haven't entered for a while due to uni stuff but it's nice to join in again with Bake of the Week run by Helen at Casa Costello.


Disclaimer: I was sent products from myprotein.com to review and use in my recipes. I was not required to write a positive review and all thoughts expressed are my own.

25 comments:

  1. I don't use buckwheat enough (although it makes great pancakes)! I should definitely use it more. These sound very healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! I'm looking forward to experimenting more with the rest of the bag.

      Delete
  2. These muffins look FANTASTIC !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I've never baked with buckwheat before (but I love the name, it sounds a very... energetic flour!). The almond butter sounds lovely- look forward to seeing what you bake with that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I suppose it does sound like an energetic flour! I hope I manage to not eat all the almond butter before I get to bake with it but with currently writing my dissertation I'm not 100% sure I can keep that promise!

      Delete
  4. well, as I said on twitter I adore the way the chocolate looks all melty in these and you need a little naughty along with your nice don't you think? They look great inside too so that flour must be doing something right!.. thanks so much for entering into my new Simply Eggcellent link up, so many different egg recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for your kind words Dom. It was interesting to work with a different flour and I have a few more ideas up my sleeve.

      Delete
  5. These look great muffins! I too have some buckwheat flour (from MyProtein too!) and now I know what I might try them out on first. Love the dark chocolate against the light brown of the muffin. #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the,! I look forward to seeing what you use your buckwheat flour for - I'm collecting recipes!

      Delete
  6. I love muffins and have been baking a lot of them recently as they are great breakfast foods and they freeze well. I've never baked with buckwheatflour before - great choice. Love the dark chocolate bits - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Ros! You alway come up with lovely flavour combinations for muffins :)

      Delete
  7. I do like baking with buckwheat flour though it can get a little heavy if used on its own. These look delicious though #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look super Laura. I'm a big fan of buckwheat flour, but now a big fan of freekah flour which I got from MyProtein ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to bake with buckwheat flour for ages, these looks lovely, love the big chunks of chocolate. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look like a great bake - I love the way the chocolate is like little bits of heaven when you bite in them. Thanks loads for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
  11. FreedomPop is the first COMPLETELY FREE mobile communications provider.

    Voice, SMS & data plans always start at £0.00/month (100% FREE CALLS).

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you are looking for an excellent contextual advertising network, I suggest that you take a peek at Propeller Ads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sports betting system generates +$3,624 profit last week!

    Z-Code System winning bets and forecasts for MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Start following our signals NOW and gain up to 270% daily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!