Saturday, 3 January 2015

Swineherd Pie

My second savoury recipe in a row. I know. It isn't normal but I can't say I'm sorry. I did this to you last year, first with a pearl barely bake and then with a baked risotto. Both of those recipes tasted amazing (but that doesn't stop me laughing at those photographs.) Sometimes, most of the time if truth be told, leftovers make the best meals and I'm always trying out new things to get inventive with them. Who is with me?
Swineherd Pie - leftover pork mixed with vegetables and rich gravy topped with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes.
I felt pretty pleased with myself coming up with the name Swineherd Pie until I googled the term. Of course it isn't a new concept. Still, it is an absolutely delicious one and a perfect way to use up leftover roast pork. Or slow cooked or pulled pork as in this case. Any old veg looking sorry for itself could go in there too or whatever else you think might complement pork. Just go with it. Trust your instincts and I know you will be rewarded with a gorgeous meal and murmurs of satisfaction from all those who eat it. No more than murmurs because people will be too busy enjoying their meal. I know. That is exactly what happened today.
Swineherd Pie - leftover pork mixed with vegetables and rich gravy topped with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes.
Beautifully tender apple scented pork diced into little chunks nestle in a bed of rich gravy with softened carrots, onions and mushrooms. An eiderdown of fluffy mashed potato lies on top and is made all the more luxurious sensuous by a splash of cream and a heavy sprinkling of mature cheddar. A hug on a plate. Let's just ignore the mess I made of dishing it up.
Swineherd Pie - leftover pork mixed with vegetables and rich gravy topped with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes.
I've always loved pies. I've said it many times before - I like all the healthy things. My last recipe was this Kitchen Sink Pie which made use of Christmas cold meats and a variety of vegetables to produce something which lifted the spirits of us all when we needed it. I'll also never get over how versatile a gnocchi topped pie can be. This one though, this one might just be a new favourite. Ok, until I get let loose with pastry or potato again.



Swineherd Pie
Serves 3-4
The pork version of cottage or shepherds pie made using the most tender of leftover pork mixed with leftover vegetables in a rich gravy and topped with a creamy mash. Dig in.










Ingredients
For the filling:
  • 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 3 carrots, trimmed, peeled and finely diced
  • A handful of chestnut mushrooms, wiped and chopped
  • A generous handful (as much as you would like really) leftover pork, chopped
  • A little oil
  • About half pint of thick gravy (I used leftover gravy made from the stock I slow cooked the pork in)
For the topping:
  • 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • Splash of milk/cream
  • Pepper
  • Handful of Wensleydale (or other cheese), grated
Instructions
1. First start preparing the filling. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the vegetables. Slowly cook over a medium heat while you prepare the mashed potato topping. When softened, set aside.
2. Meanwhile, place the potato chunks in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5-10 mins until soft. Drain and mash, mixing in the milk/cream, pepper to taste and half the Wensleydale.  
3. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C fan and place an ovenproof dish on a baking tray. Mix the vegetables with the meat and gravy and spread out in the dish. Spoon over the mashed potato and spread out, roughing it up a bit if you like crunchy bits. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 mins until piping hot and the gravy is bubbling. Serve straight away.

I haven't done so in a while but I'm mightily pleased to be able to link up with Lucy's CookBlogShare over at Supergolden Bakes once again.

18 comments:

  1. I am drooling. Sadly potatoes are out for the time being but I think maybe a parsnip mash topping would work... Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare and a very happy 2015 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely. I wanted to use mashed parsnips but we had run out at the time so I had to make do. Happy 2015 to you too!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, that looks like the most perfect comfort food ever! Well done for not letting anything go to waste too :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will readily admit to feeling just a little bit smug at using up so many leftovers =)

      Delete
  3. Cheesy-potato topped pies are fabulous snuggle food. Warming, comforting and hugely reassuring. This looks delicious and all the better for using up left-overs. I am definitely with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Kate. You've got it bang on with snuggle food.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I love making pies from leftovers and this sounds delicious and so comforting for cold winter evenings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen! I'm hoping to do a cottage pie version in a few days time and I'm looking forward to it already.

      Delete
  5. I'd never thought to use different meats.
    Adding to my recipe list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful, what a delicious use for leftover pork. Visiting from Foodie Friday's :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it! I love the name, too. Really makes a person perk up and want to find out what it is. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy it =)

      Delete
  8. What a delicious way to use your leftovers! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would this freeze well after cooking? I cook and freeze all of my mom's meals as she is no longer able.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you know you can shorten your urls with LinkShrink and get cash for every click on your short urls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!