Wednesday, 8 October 2014

White Chocolate Chip Courgette Muffins

Yeah I know, it's the time of year when I'm supposed to be posting recipes full of pumpkin and apples. No really I do know that, I did provide a Christmas mincemeat drowned in whisky and grabbed the opportunity to republish this apple and almond traybake after all. I've had such fun, and so much success, making courgette recipes this summer though that I couldn't put them to rest until I posted at least one more that has the photos are waiting on my computer.
These were an adaptation of my greatest courgette/zucchini success - these muffins. I've decided now that I've found my perfect muffin recipe bases which I can now adapt to my hearts content. For lighter veg based muffins I'll go with the one I used for these chocolate pecan courgette muffins and for the more traditional bakery style muffins I'll use the one which I made these chocolate chip latte muffins from. Funny how they both come from Sally's Baking Addiction. Sally really does have some awesome recipes.
That bakery muffin base is good for savoury muffins too. I tested that out a couple of times this summer as well like with these cheddar, chive and ale muffins. So good for lunch or breakfast. Not heavy or dense in the slightest. I'll get round to posting the other couple of success stories one day soon hopefully.
For now though can I tempt you with a white chocolate variation? I'd had the idea pinned for a while before I got to make it and I'm so glad I got the chance. They were just as good as their older sister and still delightfully quick to mix and bake. The crumb is so tender it dissolves on your tongue, releasing all the moisture given by the courgettes instantly. A light spicing adds another dimension and brings the creamy pools of vanilla white chocolate to a new height. Finally, the exra drizzle of chocolate on top hints at what is to come as soon as you give up resistance and dive in. 
If you have gone over the autumnal side of apples and pumpkins after a summer of courgettes then you could still make these with any of the harvest excess you might have stored in the freeser. Frozen courgettes are notorious for going mushy but simply squeeze out the extra water and throw them into the mixture. It shouldn't be a problem. Whatever the courgette availability at this time of year, remember, courgettes + spice + white chocolate = delightful. 
 

print recipe

White Chocolate Chip Courgette Muffins
Super moist, light and tender, these lightly spiced muffins hold a multitude of posckets of creamy white chocolate chips amongst the wealth of courgette/zucchini.


Ingredients
  • 1 large egg
  • 80g soft dark brown sugar
  • 80g granulated sugar
  • 120ml oil, sunflower or olive
  • 1 cup grated courgette (approx 1 medium)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 190g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.5 tsp nutmeg
  • 100g white chocolate (chopped) + 50g (melted)
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 220 C/200 C fan and line a 12 cup muffin tray with muffin cases.2. Mix together the egg, sugars, oil, courgette and vanilla in one bowl. In another sift together the dry ingredients then stir in the chopped chocolate. 3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until only just combined - the mixture will be lumpy then divide between the cases.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 mins then lower the temperature to 180 C/160 C fan and bake for another 13-15 mins until a skewer inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 mins then remove the muffins from the tray and finish cooling. 5. Once completely cool, drizzle the melted chocolate over the muffins before serving.


Hopefully Karen from Lavender and Lovage won't be oo disappointed with me for posting a recipe using an out of season vegetable. When I saw the theme for Tea Time Treats (hosted alternatively by Jane from The Hedgecombers) was veg, I coulnd't resist posting this before next year. I've entered courgette recipes a few times into Lucy's CookBlogShare too over at Supergolden Bakes and she has noted my way of naughtyfying the healthy veg. 




30 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about courgette as an ingredient in baking. "Think carrot cake" I was told. A colleague at work was raving about it, made one and brought it in ON MY DAY OFF. She is no longer at the company. (she left for a better job, nothing to do with me not getting any cake -ha haa!). Another one to try out. thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like carrot cake I really think you will like courgette cakes. They add such a lovely texture. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Would soaked raisins work in these too do you think? Or is that too much moisture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'd work as long as you made sure they are drained properly first. And to be on the safe saide, if you think there is too much moisture released after you have grated the courgettes, just swuueze a bit out before mixing them in. I like you idea of adding raisins though =) Just have a play around and have fun!

      Delete
  3. Those courgettes still going strong? You lucky thing! The veg patch at our end has now all been harvested and dug over.... darn! The muffins look divine..... Those drizzles of white chocolate look so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite, the courgette plants have gone now but the space is booked for some new ones next year =) I made these muffins in August but haven't had chance to out the recipe before now. I can't wait to do more courgette baking experiments next year.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! This month is Muffin Tin Month at Swirls and Spice. I invite you to join in the fun and share your recipe! http://swirlsandspice.com/2014/10/01/muffin-tin-month-and-a-challenge-to-share/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo brilliant. Thank you, I'll link up a bit later when I'm back in my computer.

      Delete
  5. I have some sorry-looking forgotten courgettes in the fridge. This would be a very good ending for them : ) Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare always great to see your recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed out on baking with courgettes this season but I've bookmarked your recipes for next year. I'm not usually a fan of white chocolate but I can see how it would work well here and I love the drizzle on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'd work with any chocolate really, I just fancied white this time =) I'll look forward to seeing your courgette creations next year then, you're always so creative.

      Delete
  7. Love the white chocolate drizzle on the top...I'm already partial to a courgette but adding chocolate is never going to hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! These look delicious! I love the drizzle on top...it makes them seem even more special! Pinned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum! These look delicious, I love the white chocolate drizzle on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist adding that chocolate drizzle ;)

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous - loving the combination of courgette and white chocolate. I can't wait to give these a try when my courgette plants start to produce in another couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you will have courgettes again so soon?! I hope you like these if you get to try them!

      Delete
  11. Oh my...now you have me in the breakfast mood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well you know, any excuse is good for cake!

      Delete
  12. I need to bake with courgette, I keep meaning too but never get around to it. These look yummy, love the drizzle. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely brilliant - you'll soon be hooked. Courgettes are so versatile.

      Delete
  13. I love courgette in baking, these muffins look awesome - especially with the white chocolate! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to more courgette experiments this year if the ones mym mum has planted for me take off.

      Delete
  14. I love zucchini muffins, your version with the white chocolate chips sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like courgette in baking, it's both so moist and the flavor is good. These look adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!