Sunday, 12 October 2014

Treacle Cobweb Cake with Speculoos Spread Icing

Hands up who has tried Speculoos spread. Cookie butter? Lotus spread? Biscoff spread? Since I discovered Pinterest I have collected no end of recipes raving about how amazing it was so was keen to try it but it isn't readily available here in the UK. I saw it in my local Sainsburys one day and I was tempted to buy some out of curiosity but still I held off. Then I saw it on special offer and I couldn't resist. Damn those bargains. It stayed in my wardrobe (I'd run out of kitchen cupboard space for baking goodies) for a while until I had the chance to make a recipe which really showed it off. This is that recipe. 
Treacle spice cake made topped with Speculoos spread and a chocolate cobweb
I've mentioned once or twice that I don't always bake to the seasons. I find it more fun to bake what I feel like so I can put more enthusiasm into what I do - and it means I relax more. With this cake though, the timing was perfect. I wanted to make something spiced and warming and comforting so when I stumbled across this recipe again which Joy the Baker posted some time ago I knew it was fate telling me to make it. Well, that's my excuse.
Treacle spice cake made topped with Speculoos spread and a chocolate cobweb
The cake is everything the ingredients promise it to be. The ginger leads the spice parade to create a cosy haze to wrap around yourself while the treacle gives a depth of flavour you can sink into. The slight traditional stickiness reminds up of more relaxed times and helps ease you into a looser state, perfectly helped along with a hot cup of tea. Then the topping. Velvety Biscoff spread spooned onto the cake while warm and left to melt and pool all over the surface and down the sides. A chocolate drizzle and feathered lines finish off this delight ready for the return of hard working trick or treaters or simply a reward for getting through a chilly autumn day.
Treacle spice cake made topped with Speculoos spread and a chocolate cobweb
True to form I've made a cake which is both quick to make and a joy to eat. No compromise, maximum results with the minimum of effort. Simply mix wet ingredients, mix dry then mix together. Bake, ice and serve. The beauty of this one is that the icing is done while the cake is cooling so you can grab the plates and a slice that bit quicker. Who wants to wait around when  there is is cake coming? Even better, what a day or two for your second helping and you will be rewarded with an even more moist and flavourful cake.
Treacle spice cake made topped with Speculoos spread and a chocolate cobweb
Thanks to Joy the Baker for the recipe. It's a keeper. Use the original molasses if you want the spices to come through more or go for my version using mixed spice for speed and treacle for a darker note. I was intrigued the first time I saw it and I'm glad I waited for just the right time. Plus, it finally gave me the chance to use the bargain Halloween props I have been hoarding since last year.



print recipe

Treacle Cobweb Cake with Speculoos Spread Icing
Full of dark treacle and warming spices, this cake is mae extra special by its simplicity and ease. Simply let the Biscoff spread melt on then spread all over. Adapt the spices to suit your tastes.
Ingredients
  • 140g plain flour
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 55g butter, melted
  • 75g granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 6 tbsp treacle (or molasses for a lighter flavour)
  • 6 tbsp hot water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g Speculoos spread
  • 25g dark chocolate, melted
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Grease and line a 7" round cake tin with baking paper.2. Sift together the flour, spices and baking powder. In a separate bowl whisk together all the other ingredients except the Speculoos spread and chocolate.3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Transfer to the tin and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.4. Cool in the tin for five minutes then remove and place on a wire rack over a tray or sheet of baking paper. Gently place blobs of the Speculoos spread on top of the cake, let melt slightly then spread out to cover the top and sides. Drizzle the chocolate over in what pattern you wish then gently draw a skewer through the ocing while it is still wet to create the feathered look.

As luck would have it there are a number of challenges I reckon my treacle cake is suitable for. When I saw Dom's Random Recipes at Belleau Kitchen had to involve an internet search I went straight to Pinterest. I used Ness' Love Cake at JibberJabberUK choice of Dark as my search term and when this one came up I was so pleased because I've had it bookmarked for so long so I'm sending it off to Katie at Feeding Boys and a Firefighter who is hosting Bookmarkerd Recipes on behalf of Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes. Then when I saw Hannah from Honey and Dough who is hosting We Should Cocoa on behalf of Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog had chosen the theme of Halloween I decided to adapt the decoration to suit because sometimes baking things for special themes is fun.

39 comments:

  1. What a stunning cake! The feathering is perfect and those spiders are creepy!! I have so many Halloween ideas but I'm not sure if I'll get round to them. Shame it doesn't fit into this month's AlphaBakes - you've done well with all those other challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to make at least one of your ideas. Fingers crossed for you - I know it will be good!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant. I think your decoration is fantastic and the photos are spot on too! I have been reading so much about speculoos/biscoff, etc but sadly it is full of gluten! The cake may just have to be tried in GF form though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Kate! Have you seen Bloue Kitchen Bake's post where she makes her own Speculoos biscuits and spread too I think? It would add time but it might be worthwhile making a deglutened version to see if you like the spread. You'll probably like it more than the branded stuff because it has the proper range of spices in =)

      Delete
  3. I love the appearance of the icing on the cake, and the spiders definitely make the photos. Sounds like a very tasty cake, though I have no idea what on earth to expect from speculoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either when I first tried the spread. I think the traditional biscuits (the homemade versions, not the mass produced ones) are like a crisp, spiced shortbread. The spread, well, think of peanut butter but sweeter, maybe a bit creamier and cinnamon flavoured with caramel tones. I thought it was weird to start with but then got used to it and decided it was fantastic for a quick icing.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous and delicious looking cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks spectacular! I love moist & thick cakes :)
    I would love if you share it with my fall themed party Big Autumn Bash:
    http://milaslittlethings.com/2014/10/big-autumn-bash-the-link-party.html

    xx
    Mila
    milaslittlethings.com
    milawayable@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Mila! I'll add your link party to my list when I'm back on my computer.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for joining the party ! :)
      xx
      Mila
      milawayable@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. My pleasure and thank you for inviting me =)

      Delete
  6. well it looks amazing of course the decor is fantastic but the cake itself looks so wonderful and moist... I do love a puddingy type cake... gorgeous! Thanks so much for the brilliant entry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such lovely comments Dom!

      Delete
  7. I love the webbing on this! And the speculoos of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty!! Well done. My cakes never look this good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sure they do. And anyway, as much as we all love what we've made to look cook on a plate, aren't we all too busy eating it to really notice?!

      Delete
  9. You've totally sold this cake to me - looks and sounds completely delicious!!!! I adore lotus spread - it's such a treat we usually reserve it for camping trips when we need the extra hit of energy to get moving in a morning. I'm loving the idea of baking with it though so might just have to get a jar... Joy The Baker's recipes are so tempting aren't they! Thanks for hooking up to this month's round of Bookmarked Recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hope you can keep your boys hands out of the jar if you do! I agree, Joy's recipes are brilliant and her photography is gorgeous too!

      Delete
  10. Wow that looks absolutely fantastic. Great spider web effect and I love the sound of all the ginger and spices. The cake looks so moist and sticky too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! It is lovely and sticky =)

      Delete
  11. Ah that's one of my favourite kind of cakes this time of year. Love the flavours, delicious! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing looking cake! I hope you're eating some and not letting the spiders get it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the spiders didn't get a chance. My parents and I enjoyed it far too much!

      Delete
  13. What a combination! I've never thought to combine treacle with Biscoff, but I imagine it's absolutely delicious, I adore Biscoff! Thanks for linking up to the Pretty Pintastic Party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great Halloween cake and full of seasonal spice. I've managed to resist the Speculoos spread as of yet but this may change now! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I'm trying to resist going back to the speculoos spread myself!

      Delete
  15. This is so creative! What a fun Halloween treat! Thank you so much for linking it up with us at Foodie Fridays last week! I wanted to let you know that you will be featured this week at A Dish of Daily Life, and I wilI be pinning, and stumbling and sharing on Facebook...absolutely love this!! Our party opens tonight at 9 pm EST! Have a great rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Michelle. I really appreciate it =) You work so hard and I really enjoy joining in each week and seeing the other entries!

      Delete
  16. Gosh that looks so good, I want to grab one of those plates with the cake slice on and tuck in immediately. That is only because the cake is already cut, otherwise, I'd find it very difficult to spoil such a beauty. I am very envious of your feathered spiders web, I tried and failed! Great pictures and thanks for sharing them with We Should Cocoa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! I'll let you into a little secret - that spider web nearly went badly wrong. It was only dragging a stick through it for the feathering that pulled the lines apart that I nearly crossed over each other. Piping isn't my strong point!

      Delete
  17. The spiders are just the cutest touch to this epic looking cake! Thank you for entering We Should Cocoa! (I'm a little bit in love with your plates too...!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Hannah! It was really fun using those spiders and I love collecting pretty crockery to use in my photos =)

      Delete
  18. What a fabulous looking and delicious sounding cake!
    I'm always on the lookout for something different for our Children in Need cake stall, and this could be it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That brilliant to hear! Good luck with the stall and I hope you raise loads =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!