Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Chilli

How many of of you have a slow cooker? I absolutely LOVE mine! I've used it three times in the three weeks that I've been back at uni and each time it has produced a meal which has been delicious. Even when I made chilli in it without any chilli powder in because I forgot to buy some.
Slow Cooker Apple Pie Chilli - apples instead of tomatoes make this warming spiced dish extra delicious
The meal forgave me when I quickly stirred in some newly bought chilli powder that I took a detour to get on my way to pick up a box of cereal. Yes, I know how that sounds but I won it over Twitter. Stranger things have happened. Like putting apples in a chilli recipe.
Slow Cooker Apple Pie Chilli - apples instead of tomatoes make this warming spiced dish extra delicious
I found the recipe over at The Cupcake Project and the idea of a spicy apple chilli instead of a tomato based one had me hooked. Except I couldn't be bothered with the individual steps so I decided to bung it all in the slow cooker and hope for the best. It was a dream. A dream I wanted to have a second portion of straight after my first. There is no burn your mouth out heat, simply a beautiful aromatic cocoon of sweet spices swirling around the meat which cooks to a seductive crumble which gives itself up at the slightest bite. The apples cook down to a state where they can melt in the mouth, combining with the soft, fluffiness of slow cooked pulses. I don't know what could be more comforting, besides maybe a square of almond apple cake with custard for afters.
Slow Cooker Apple Pie Chilli - apples instead of tomatoes make this warming spiced dish extra delicious
It may seem bizarre but just go with it. And I found are still questioning the combination let yourself be swayed by the thought of having it ready and waiting after a hard days work and a journey home in the tortuous cold.  Seriously, throw it all in the slow cooker, stir and go. You work hard enough to keep going through the discomfort of the autumn and winter months. Let your slow cooker take its turn.


print recipe

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Chilli
A slow cooker chilli containing plenty of warming aromatic spices and chunks of apples to give it a new dimension and alternative to tomatoes.
Ingredients
  • 2 slices bacon, trimmed of fat and chopped
  • 500g minced beef
  • 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
  • A good squeeze garlic puree
  • 2 tsp chilli powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 0.5 tsp cumin
  • A squeeze tomato puree
  • Approx 500g apples. peeled, cored and chopped
  • 400ml cider (ajust according to how liquidy you like chilli), heated
  • 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Instructions
1. Place all in the ingredients into the bowl of a slow cooker and stir until evenly distributed. Make sure the cider is hot when you add it so the slow cooker doesn't have to work to heat it up first.2. Put on the slow cooker lid and leave on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. If there is too much liquid for your liking towards the end of cooking time, turn to high and leave the lid off for a bit before serving. Alternatively, make a cornflour paste with some of the liquid, stir it back into the pot and leave on high with the lid off to thicken. 3. Serve with rice, pasta, nachos etc as you wish.

I don't post savoury recipes anywhere near as often as sweet ones so I'm pretty lucky I've posted this right when Janice from Farmrsgirl Kitchen has set an open theme for her Slow Cooked Challenge. I'm also pretty lucky that I Shopped Local (ok, free) for the cider which went in this so I'm sending it to Elizabeth at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary too. dad made the cider a couple of years ago from the apples off the big tree in our garden. The apples also mean there is an extra lot of fruit in each portion so it should be suitable for Extra Veg, this month hosted by Emily from A Mummy Too on behalf of Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle at Utterly Scrummy. It's also something a little different from my usual entries for Lucy's CookBlogShare at Supergolden Bakes.



16 comments:

  1. I must admit to owning a slow cooker but not using it much - I am not sure I got the hang of it yet! This chilli sounds amazing - never had any without tomatoes before but I do like adding apples to savoury dishes. One to try! Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really is, I'm going to be sad when I've used all the portions I put in the freezer. I hope you get chance to get experimenting with the your slow cooker soon. I'm sure you'll come up with some lovely ideas - I could do with some inspiration from your lovely photos for my own!

      Delete
  2. I need to invest in one. I love any meat you can slow cook and with nights drawing in its the perfect hearty meal. Spiced apples sounds amazing though. Certainly will reduce the tomato staining! Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to buy one soon. Mine is only a cheap one and now I know how much I like it I wouldn't mind upgrading to one where you can put the pot on the hob and in the oven.

      Delete
  3. I've never had or used a slow cooker. It would make a change to jacket potato! Love the idea of pairing apple with beef chilli. Sounds really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be very cheeky and urge you to buy one Kate! My mum didn't like the idea at first but then she was given one and is now a convert.

      Delete
  4. Hey, Laura! This looks great! I love sweet and savory combinations, so this is very appealing to me. Plus, you can't beat the convenience of a slow cooker! Pinned and tweeted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm so glad you like it and really appreciate the shares =)

      Delete
  5. This looks simply lovely, and I am intrigued and shall be tying it! Thank you for sending to #ExtraVeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that Helen! Let me know what you think =)

      Delete
  6. This sounds AMAZING! I'd love a great big bowl of this just now with the wild gales outside... thank you for linking up with Shop Local!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for letting me join in even though my shopping local simply involved from the garden!

      Delete
  7. I love my slow cooker too, and I definitely need to use it to make this it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it" its one of my favourite slow cooker recipes.

      Delete
  8. I love this idea, sounds delicious! I wouldn't have thought to add apples to chili, but can see how it would work, will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do and let me know what you think. It is currently my favourite chilli recipe, even about barbeque chilli.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!