Friday, 24 October 2014

Mini Double Chocolate Pecan Pear Crumbles

You all know I like to experiment. A lot. Most of the time Mum is supportive of my meddling though I can usually tell her level of apprehension from her facial expression. Knowing her favourite flavours helps though so I knew I was onto a pretty safe bet when I first mentioned Paul Hollywood's recipe for a Pear and Pecan Crumble. 
I've had it bookmarked from his How to Bake book since I first got it fresh off the press and I finally made it a couple of months ago as a homecoming pudding when my parents had been away in Dorset. Mum was looking forward to it the entire journey home. There was only I didn't tell her. I had added extra chocolate to the crumble topping. 
Extra chocolate cannot be a bad thing. Can you remember this chunky blackberry hazelnut crumble where I first roasted the fruit in wine? Well these mini pear crumbles were the precursor to that. I felt a bit naughty rummaging about in the alchohol cupboard to find the semi-forgotten bottle of wine that I needed but I don't really know why. Maybe it was because it was the middle of the morning so dabbling with booze felt wrong even though I wasn't going to be drinking any. 
At the same time the bit of mischief felt good. Like the mildy disobedient child who furtively carries out plans with the best of intentions but knowing they may have their parents scowling. That little bit of nughtiness carries over ito the eating of these individual pots of autumn too. Underneath the intense darkly rich chocolate hit of the cocoa is the grounded nuttiness from the roughly chopped pecans and flaked almonds. Their time in the oven allows them to roast to perfection, mingling with the heady scents of the melting chocolate that forms between the crumble-fruit interface. The wine soaked pears sit sweetly in their own sauce waiting tenderly for their soft nature to be enjoyed juxtaposed to their crunchy topping.
At this time of year these crumbles would be the perfect way to use up any windfall harvest. That is actually where I got the fruit from for these despite me making them in August and only writing this post in October. Hey, what can I say, this is England. the weather does as it pleases. One way to please yourself though - add chocolate to your next fruit crumble.

print recipe

Mini Double Chocolate Pecan Pear Crumbles
Individual autumn crumbles made extra special by roasting the pears in wine and using chocolate in the crumble mixture.
Ingredients
  • 4oz ripe pears, peeled, cored and diced
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1  rounded tsp cornflour
  • 150 ml wine, white or red
  • 50g plain flour
  • 50g oats
  • 25g demerara sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 50g butter, chilled
  • 50g pecans, roughly chopped
  • 25g flaked almonds
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 50g dark chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Heat the oven to 180 /160 fan. Toss the pears with the maple syrup and cornflour, divide between four ramekins and pour over the wine. Cover with foil and roast for about 20 mins until soft.2. Meanwhile, combine the flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon then rub in the butter. Stir through the cocoa powder then the pecans and almonds.3. When the pears are ready, remove the foil and sprinkle over the chocolate chips. Divide the crumble topping between the ramekins and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.4. When the nuts have coloured so they look toasted, remove from the oven and serve with custard, cream, ice cream etc.

I'm sending these mini crumbles off to the trick or treat/autumn themed Treat Petite, this month hosted by Kat, the Baking Explorer, who alternates with Cakeyboi Stuart. Also, by using the ancient wine I was given for my 18th birthday to make sure it didnt get chucked I reckon they are suitable for the No Waste Food Challenge, this month hosted by Vohn from Vohn's Vittles on behalf of Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. I can't resist adding them to Lucy's CookBlogShare at Supergolden Bakes too and because I've had it bookmarked from Paul Hollywood's How to Bake for so long I'd like to share it with Bookmarked Recipes, this month hosted by Katie from Feeding Boys and a Firefighter on belhalf of Jac at Tinned Tomatoes.

14 comments:

  1. Oooohhhh...... pecans...... chocolate........ maple syrup.........pears......... oats........ cinnamon......... I'm there!!!!! (dribble dribble.......)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I did try to pack in as much of the good stuff as possible =D

      Delete
  2. All my favourite ingredients - yum! I'm definitely adding chocolate to my next crumble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let's start a crumble revolution!

      Delete
  3. Such a great combination of ingredients and perfect for a little Autumn comfort eating (while still being healthy!)
    I love it. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's nice to know someone else thinks these could be excused as slightly healthy still! Glad you like them =)

      Delete
  4. Lovely and warming, plus an excellent excuse to eat lots of custard! Thanks for entering into Treat Petite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love a good crumble and these look super yummy, just need some custard now and I'd be all set to devour one. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! La

    ReplyDelete
  6. These crumbles look delicious, I have never seen a recipe for a crumble that included chocolate, but I certainly like the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh you definitely need to try a chocolate crumble. They're instant winners :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!