Sunday, 26 October 2014

Bonfire Toffee and Apple Muffins

I wasn't going to post these in October but I thought I'd sneak another one in there seeing as these were so popular. Plus, they are an excellent way to use up that bonfire toffee you bought five bags of when you saw it at 10p a bag after Bonfire Night in Sainsburys last year. Oh, that was just me was it?
Bonfire Treacle Toffee and Apple Muffins. Perfect comforting flavours of autumn or fall.
At least I wasn't the worst. A couple of guys walked off with an unopened box of the stuff because it was such a good deal. You know, the boxes that the packets get shipped in and left on the shelf until the opened stock has gone down? Yep, those ones. It was nice of them to save the staff the job of opening one box. I wonder if they have some left and are reading this post now.......
Bonfire Treacle Toffee and Apple Muffins. Perfect comforting flavours of autumn or fall.
Even if you don't have any bargain treacle toffee left over after Bonfire Night, it is all over the place at the moment so you can still make these muffins which is certainly good news. They nearly didn't get made you know. I had planned to make apple and peanut butter muffins with pecan praline on top but that will have to be a recipe for another day. I decided when it came to it that I wasn't fancying peanut butter in my cakes and would prefer to stick to eating it out of the jar. I know, I'm terrible. My peanut butter addicts is getting worse.
Bonfire Treacle Toffee and Apple Muffins. Perfect comforting flavours of autumn or fall.
I still wanted to bake with apples and when I remembered the bags of toffee waiting patiently I my drawer these muffins were born. They were everything they ought to have been. A soft caramel hinted muffin with, tender enough to be pleasurable yet substantial enough to tke care of the chunks of fruity apple waiting within. The chopped bonfire treacle toffee nestle among the apples, mailing soft and yielding in every bite. Ad the toffee on top....if you ever wantd an easy way to make a luscious treacle toffee caramel then this is it. Sprinkle chopped bonfire toffee on top of each muffin then let the moisture from below seep into it's hard confines until it dissolves into a sweet river with that slight molasses bite. You could even call these a self glazing muffin.
Bonfire Treacle Toffee and Apple Muffins. Perfect comforting flavours of autumn or fall.
For something that was a spur of the moment idea these muffins were autumn and fall heaven. And if you find yourself with even more leftover bonfire toffee may I suggest chopping some up and striking it through this flapjack? These ginger cookies would also love you for the addition of toffee too and this sister cake would be happy to accommodate some as a decoration or an add in. Apple and ginger give you a fairly wide scope for ideas of how to use up leftover toffee. I'd love to here if you have any more.


print recipe

Bonfire Toffee Apple Muffins
Makes 6 muffins
A soft, tender caramel flavoured muffin hiding chunks of perfectly soft apple and deeply flavoured treacle toffee. Ideal to use up leftover bonfire toffee.
Ingredients
  • 190g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 0.75 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped (ideally a sharp one)
  • 100g treacle/bonfire toffee, chopped
  • 1 large egg
  • 80g granulated sugar
  • 80g dark soft brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 60ml sunflower or olive oil
  • 120ml buttermilk (or milk + 1tsp vinegar)
  • Extra treacle/bonfire toffee, to decorate
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 220 C/200 C fan and line a muffin tray with 6 paper muffin cases. 2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl. Toss in the chopped apples and toffee. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, sugars, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently stir together until only just mixed. Lumpy batter is fine. Divide between the muffin cases.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes then without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 180 C/160 C fan and bake for another 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.5. Cool on a wire rack (five mins in the tin, then until cold out of the tin) and decorate with the rest of the chopped toffee as you wish.


It might be my third entry (I think) but hopefully I can still enter these muffins into the No Waste Food Challenge, this month hosted by Vohn of Vohn's Vittles on behalf of Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. Also, I'm sending them off to Helen at Casa Costello for her Bake of the Week which I haven't entered for a little while but I miss doing so!


18 comments:

  1. Toffee and apple are so amazing together..... I think you made the right choice on ditching the peanut butter this time round...... A perfect way to use up those bargain toffees before you get a chance to pick up more!!!! I made some toffee apple cookies last year which were just divine! It's such a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo they sound good! I'll check them out soon =)

      Delete
  2. I love this time of year..partly for bakes just like this one! A delightful treat for a cold sparkly Bonfire Night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate =) I'm thinking of making these again because they are so fitting for this time of year.

      Delete
  3. I love toffee and apples and these would be perfect for the trick or treaters too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, despite the house being surrounded by ones with young kids, last year we didn't get any trick or treaters at all!

      Delete
  4. Aah we missed you too - Glad you are back. You're definitely not the only one who can't resist a bargain - that's why my cupboards are always bulging! Great muffins - Happy Bonfire Night to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is getting ways with me now! And those bargains, do those frequently consist of chocolate? My friends were amazed when I turned up with a cake yesterday decorated with mini eggs. I told them about my chocolate stash, most of which was bought in the sales ;)

      Delete
  5. How delicious! Here in Canada I can try the recipe with MacIntosh toffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo brilliant, I do hope you give them a go!

      Delete
  6. These look and sound simply amazing!! Can I have some?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love treacle and toffee, these muffins looks so good. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these look so good!! What a treat!! Thanks for sharing them with us at Foodie Fridays! Pinning and I am sharing them on my Facebook page at A Dish of Daily Life this morning! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate you sharing and all the effort of hosting Foodie Fridays =)

      Delete
  9. Yummy this sounds so delicious, and quite easy to make. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!