Sunday, 7 September 2014

Orange and Olive Oil Loaf Cake

Sometimes a recipe catches your eye. All you have to be doing is flipping through your latest recipe book acquisition while enjoying a leisurely cup of tea and one may jump out at you, a silent plea to be made. In those instances you know you are onto a winner. This is one of those such recipes.
Orange and olive oil quick bread or loaf cake recipe. Super simple and easy

Of course, I didn't stick completely to the recipe but I was heavily inspired by it. Sticking to a recipe is neigh on impossible for me, especially when I don't have any spelt flour but I remember a bag of wholemeal bread flour on top of my cupboard and wonder what effect using a higher protein flour will have on a cake. I'll tell you. Nothing negative whatsoever.
Orange and olive oil quick bread or loaf cake recipe. Super simple and easy

So what if I went against the norm? Sometimes breaking rules is a stupendously good thing. I made this cake before finishing placement and I can tell you being in the lab all day means following a lot of rules. Lab specs and coat on at all times, put the waste solvents in the correct containers, don't waft pyridine about outside of the fume cupboards....... This cake on the other hand is all about the positives. The experiment that went perfectly. A discovery that five bags of bread flour bought at 30p each was absolutely a good idea.
Orange and olive oil quick bread or loaf cake recipe. Super simple and easy

A downy soft and tender crumb holds holds as much zesty orange sunshine as it can manage grounded by an earthy nuttiness from the wholegrain flakes. Moisture oozes from every silky bite so tender it practically dissolves on the tongue. The heavenly scent which radiates from all planes belies the mischievous enticement of its true nature, drawing you into it's depths. Luckily for you this loaf cake is on of those extra special ones which is as much of a joy to mix as it is to eat. The use of olive oil boosts the moisture without making it heavy and means the mixture is ready for the oven in minutes. Trust me. I cannot lie.


print recipe

Orange and Olive Oil Loaf Cake
A well flavoured sunny loaf cake with a deliciously soft, moist crumb and so easy to make by using olive oil.
Ingredients
  • 2 large eggs
  • 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
  • Zest of 2 oranges, finely grated
  • 175 ml milk
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 200g wholemeal bread flour (sift out the largest pieces if you wish)
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tbsp scoop marmalade, warmed to finish
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2 lb loaf tin with baking paper.2. In a jug, mix together the eggs, olive oil, zest and milk. In a large bowl, sift the sugar, flour, baking powder and bicarb together. Pour the wet into the dry and mix until just combined, no longer.3. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 mins or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and spread over the warmed marmalade. leave to cool in the tin.

I'm pretty sure olive oil is used a lot in Mediterranean recipes so I'm entering this orange and olive oil cake into Tea Time Treats. Janine from The Hedgecombers is hosting this month, alternating with Karen from Lavender and Lovage.
As I've wanted to make this cake since the 'Great British Bake Off: How to turn every day bakes into showstoppers' came out, I'm also sharing this cake with Bookmarked Recipes on Jacqueline's blog Tinned Tomatoes.
Finally, I'd like to share this with CookBlogShare organised by Lucy of Supergolden Bakes.

21 comments:

  1. This a great cakey treat- using up lots of store cupboard staples plus a tasty tangy fruity flavour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think it was the last bit of marmalade from a jar I made ages ago which I used in fact!

      Delete
  2. I love the flavours - I don't often bake with olive oil but it does add a really distinctive flavour. I too am incapable of following a recipe which can only be a good thing as it made me start creating my own. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And when you create your own and it is a success it makes you all the more pleased I think.

      Delete
  3. Orange Cake is one of my favourites. Love the use of the olive oil and the post is beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love marmalade - such a delicious flavour to use in baking!
    Am always looking for new ways to use it, so thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. I find marmalade really useful too, especially as an alternative to a drizzle.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I have ever made a cake with olive oil yet. Your orange cake truly looks fabulous and perfect for those who love citrusy undertones, like my husband. I know he would love a slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you really should try an olive oil cake recipe! It makes them so easy and quickly and moist. You don't even have to go through the process of melting butter =)

      Delete
  6. This bread sounds wonderful! It's a good thing you broke the rules. Anything with orange zest is delish in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Michele. It's fun to break the rules sometimes isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Good Morning Laura, I saw orange and then I saw olive oil and I love both ingredients of this cake. I also have some marmelade which I made a couple of months ago, so I am ready to bake your delicious cake.
    thank you for the recipe, I look forward to trying it.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant news Daphne. Do let me know how it goes and if you have any changes to suggest =)

      Delete
  8. Looks lovely. Spelt flour is a great flour to use in baking, hope you get to try it soon! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might end up treating myself to some one day soon to give it a go =)

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, that looks so moist! I bet it tastes heavenly.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us at Tea Time Treats - perfect in every way for the Mediterranean theme :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you got to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Text Your Ex Back?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!