Monday, 15 September 2014

Chunky Blackberry Hazelnut Crumble

I've been making a lot of comments lately along the lines of 'it's definitely autumn' and 'I think I need snuggly night things now'. I'm also planning on buying a load more slipper socks this weekend, along  with another bunch of tights. I'm currently stubornly sticking in the clothing stage of wearing summer dresses with chunky cardigans as a small attempt to keep warm but the number of days I can get away with walking around with bare legs is limited. It's getting cold - tights are necessary. Much like this crumble.
Wine roasted Blackberry Crumble with buttery oats, hazelnuts and almonds. Also known as a crisp, crumble or buckle.

I think my food blogger senses might be a little off. I wanted to make autumnal crumbles in July, I've still got courgette recipes I'm dying to give a go and I'm trying hard to resist baking Christmas cakes months early. For the sake of my blog stats I should be baking slightly ahead of season then posting just in time to catch all those searching for seasonal recipes but baking what and when you like is much more fun. Let that serve as a warning - you may well see courgette recipes on here in December. Seriously, I have some waiting for me in the freezer and for what I want to use them for, frozen will be fine. Luckily, this is one recipe that I did make which happily fits in with the seasons.
Wine roasted Blackberry Crumble with buttery oats, hazelnuts and almonds. Also known as a crisp, crumble or buckle.

I decided I didn't want to make blackberry jam this year. I made peach jam instead. There was no way I was going to miss out of blackberry picking though because I love it so much. There is something so satisfying about baking with fruit and veg that you have picked yourself and having discovered how nice fruit roasted in sparkling wine tastes (another recipe which I'll hopefully get to post this autumn) I thought I'd play host to the whims of my mind and make one of those crumbles I'd been fancying.
Wine roasted Blackberry Crumble with buttery oats, hazelnuts and almonds. Also known as a crisp, crumble or buckle.

Have you ever roasted fruit in wine before? It's absolutely gorgeous. It was a Paul Hollywood recipe which made me try it the first time and I know I'll be using the idea again. It's a great way to use up th last of a bottle of wine opened a night or two before rather than throwing it down the sink. It was some windfall pears that got the alcohol treatment first but I can honestly say it works just as wonderfully with blackberries. The berry layer slowly bursts while it roasts to form a deep lagoon with just enough remaining whole berries swim languidly in the oozing pool of juices, thickened by a little cornflour to slow the drift of your senses as they sink into the intese fruitiness so the passion lasts longer. The chunky crumble scattered on top provides the enough contrasting resistance to remind you of the wild origins of the bramble blackberries - clusters of rugged oats, toasty hazenuts and caramel sugar tones all wrapped up in a sheath of melted butter. 
Wine roasted Blackberry Crumble with buttery oats, hazelnuts and almonds. Also known as a crisp, crumble or buckle.

You will want to drink to juices of the roasted fruit before sprinkling over the nutty oat crumble. A fruity blackberry gravy if you will. Don't say I didn't warn you. 
Wine roasted Blackberry Crumble with buttery oats, hazelnuts and almonds. Also known as a crisp, crumble or buckle.

I could easily eat this for breakfast. And why not? I like to add only a little sugar to crumbles unlike a lot of other sugar heaped recipes because I want to really taste the fruit. It is that beautiful tang that really wakes up up so you can pay attention to all the virtues of what you are consuming. Why would you want to miss a moment of it?


print recipe

Chunky Blackberry Hazelnut Crumble
An intensely fruity, juicy foraged blackberry crumble made with roasted fruit and topped with buttery oats and crunchy hazelnuts and almonds.
Ingredients
For the fruit layer:
  • 300-400g blackberries, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tbsp cornflour
  • 4 tsp demerara sugar, or to taste
  • 100 ml white wine, sparkling or still
 For the crumble:
  • 30g plain flour
  • 30g oats
  • 15g demerara sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 30g butter, melted
  • 30g pecans, roughly chopped
  • 15g flaked almonds
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C fan. Toss the blackberries with the sugar and cornflour, place into an ovenproof dish and pour over the wine. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.2. Meanwhile, prepare the crumble topping. Combine the flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon. Mix through the melted butter then stir through the nuts. Drain the fruit of any juices which you think are too much (don't bother if you prefer a more liquidy crumble) and sprinkle over the topping.3. Return to the oven for 20-30 minutes until the underneath is bubbling and the crumble is golden brown and looks toasted. Serve straight away with custard, cream or ice cream or simply on it's own.

The challenges I'd like to enter this Blackberry Crumble recipe into are:
Janine's Baking with Spirit over at Cake of the Week where the theme is 'acquired taste' - I don't like to drink alcohol but I very quickly acquired a taste for it in baking.
Shaheen's Vegetable Palette over at Allotment 2 Kitchen where the blackberry hues easily fit into her purples and blues theme.
Four Seasons Food which has an ideal theme of 'getting fruity' and is hosted this month by Louisa of Eat Your Veg, alternatively with Anneli from Delicieux.

The No Waste Food Challenge, this month hosted by Mireille from Chef Mireille's East West Realm on behalf of Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. I used up the last of a gift sized bottle of sparkling wine which I had opened to bake something else with. 

21 comments:

  1. WOW! Laura, this looks TOTALLY amazing and I LOVE the hazelnuts that have been added to the topping too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Love the idea of roasting fruit in wine. Crumble is totally allowed for breakfast. I think the fruit makes it ok. Thanks for entering BWS! Don't forget to email it over if you haven't already as I'm having a hectic month and might forget where to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only person who think crumble for breakfast is a good idea! It must be healthier than a breakfast muffin at least. I have emailed it over so hopefully it has arrived and I hope things don't get too stressful for you.

      Delete
  3. Roasting fruit in wine? Yes Yes Yes!!!!! Must try that......... (does that make me sound like an alchy?). I love crumble and we are definitely heading into crumble season. Love this..... especially with the pecans and almonds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no that doesn't make you sound like an alcoholic. Not to me anyway - I always question whether I sound like an addict when I say I don't like the taste of alcohol but I love it in baking. I'm even getting known for my love of boozy cakes =D

      Delete
  4. I've yet to go blackberry picking and getting my fingers and hands all covered with the juices :) Love the sound of this chunky crumble, more interesting than a plain crumble topping. Thank you so more sharing with #VegetablePalette And like you, yes - I could eat this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad I'm not the only one! Isn't blackberry picking with all its accompanying scratches and stained fingers stil such fun and totally worth it? =)

      Delete
    2. The round up should be posted tonight. Thank you and I hope you will participate this month too.

      Delete
  5. Love this recipe. The addition of hazelnuts seals the deal for me! I would be honored if you would stop by and share this recipe at Foodie Fridays where I am a co-host. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Shari
    http://puregracefarms.com/2014/09/foodie-fridays-is-sharing-the-love/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Shari. I certainly will pop over soon!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It's my favourite part. I could eat it on it's own =)

      Delete
  7. I love crumbles but it has to be swamped in custard! This looks perfect for autumn. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it did get swamped once we ate it for pudding after the photos =)

      Delete
  8. What a heavenly recipe Laura, thank you so much for sharing it with the No Waste Food Challenge and I'm so sorry it took so long for me to pop over and comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's ok. I knew you would anyway and thank you for all the shares =)

      Delete
  9. I really thought about steeping crumble fruit in wine before reading your gorgeous recipe, but it sounds utterly delish and definitely gets my vote being low in sugar. I always add oats to my crumble, but nuts too would be sublime. And my apologies for only getting around now to reading your lovely entry to September's Four Seasons Food 'Getting Fruity' event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words =) I'll be roasting my crumble fruit like this quite a bit from now on. It's lovely. And that nutty topping, well I will confess to wanting a bowlful of that on its own!

      Delete
  10. Did you know you can shorten your urls with Shortest and earn $$$$ for every visit to your short links.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!