Saturday, 27 September 2014

Almond Apple Traybake

I know it is the cardinal sin of blogging to republish an old recipe but I feel wholly justified in this instance because I first talked about these apple and almond cake squares in the very early days of I'd Much Rather Bake Than... when I didn't even know food photography and styling was a thing let alone that I had an interest in it. Even if that doesn't justify fleecing you off with a recipe I've given before, well, the success of the second time round batch does. They were divine.
Apple and almond traybake cake (aka cake bars or slices)
This is actually the first post I'm writing back in Huddersfield because I've now started my final year of Chemisy. On the day I was due to travel back Mum didn't feel like baking so she said I should do it as my one final cake. Except she said it like it was the last supper and she would be saying goodbye to me forever. Can you imagine the raised eyebrows from me?
Apple and almond traybake cake (aka cake bars or slices)
This was a good cake to go out on I reckon. I thought it was perfect the first time (please, for Gods sake ignore that picture of the original) but this time, somehow, it was more so. I should bake this more often.
Apple and almond traybake cake (aka cake bars or slices)
It somehow manages to be buttery and creamy simultaneously without containing either. The interior crumb is fluffy and openly moist, encouraged by the healthy oils from the ground almonds and the juicy apple chunks. The fruit pieces, available in each and every bite, begin to meld with their surroundings, lending an almost fudge like quality to the cake while maintaining enough tang to cut through the caramel toned cake.
Apple and almond traybake cake (aka cake bars or slices)
The best part is that it is an all in one mixture - simply dump the ingredients in a bowl, give them a wick blast with the mixer to just combine and fold through the apples. Even the decoration is added pre-baking so it is the oven which does the hard work, toasting and caramelising the flaked almonds to crunchy perfection. Add a little cinnamon or enjoy with custard if you wish - I wanted to stick with the pure apple and almond flavours but either way this traybake cake is the perfect comforter for autumn. Now, why haven't I baked this cake more often? The kitchen awaits me.


print recipe

Apple and Almond Traybake
A deliciously moist and richly flavourful autumn traybake style cake shot through with chunks of apple and caramel hints. The whole thing is made easy by using the all in one method.
Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 200g tub margarine, softened
  • 25g demerara sugar
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 150g self-raising flour
  • 125g ground almonds
  • 0.5 tsp almond extract
  • 1 large bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
  • 1 tbsp flaked almonds, to sprinkle
  • 1 tbsp demerara sugar, to sprinkled
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a 9" square cake tin.2. Place all the cake ingredients in a bowl except the apple chunks and mix with an electric mixer until just well combined. Toss the apple chunks in a little flour then fold into the cake mixture,3. Transfer to the cake tin, level and sprinkle over the flaked almonds then the sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.4. Cool in the tin on a wire rack for at least half an hour then turn out to cool completely. Don't remove from the tin until it has firmed up a bit because this cake is quite fragile until cold.

I'm sharing this recipe with Lucy's CookBlogShare event at Supergolden Bakes and Helen's Bake of the Week at Casa Costello in the hope that other people will enjoy it as much as we did. The ease of which the cake is made using the all in one method makes it fitting for Ren's Simple and in Season, hosted this month by Nazima from Franglais Kitchen. Also, the apples make it perfect for Four Seasons Food, this month hosted by Louisa from Eat Your Veg alternatively with Anneli from Delicieux.

18 comments:

  1. This cake looks so dainty and perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee. It goes so well with custard too for when you want an extra bit of comfort =)

      Delete
  2. these look delicious! almost too pretty to eat........nah, i would still eat one (or two!) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking cake, so fluffy looking! I don't mind folk reblogging recipes. I certainly do it! Like you said sometimes it's something you baked in the early days when nobody was reading. As a reader it often reminds me of an excellent recipe I forgot to bookmark first time round, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comfort Jo. It's nice to know I'm not being silly =)

      Delete
  4. They look delicious. I love how you've still got little chunks of apple in there rather than just puree. Delicious combo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really shouldn't read blogs when I am hungry...... The idea of almond with moist soft apple is just too much to bare....... A perfectly autumnal cake.... please send some over!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could it would already be on it's way Kate =)

      Delete
  6. Such a great combination- perfectly Autumnal for when the nights are drawing in and a slice of cake and a cuppa is called for! Good luck in your final year

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so light, fluffy and appealing - one of my most favourite taste combinations. Thanks so much for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek New linky is now open x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apple and almond are a favourite flavour combination of mine, this tray bake looks very yummy! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's embarrassed of their early blog pics! Your almond apple cakes look totally divine, and thanks so much for entering the post to September's Four Seasons Food 'Getting Fruity' challenge, and my sincere apologies for only getting around to reading your post now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a bit of a habit of apologising over those early blog pics!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!