Sunday, 10 August 2014

Overloaded Chocolate Party Brownies

Well that's it. Placement is over. The lab is tidy, the washing up is done and the journal article is under review. Thursday was my last day and what a lovely day it was featuring friends, gossip, macaroons, tea, Huddersfield Food and Drink Festival, lots of fun and some sad goodbyes. Oh, and these brownies. Well, I had to go out with some sort of a bang didn't I?

I knew I had to make something good but I didn't know what. I also knew it had to be something which was very me. A friend suggested (admittedly he suggested this while drunk) that I make a boozy cake because despite not drinking myself I love alcohol in cakes and chocolates. It was a brilliant idea but I still didn't feel like it. Then Mum suggested brownies. That was it. Brownies are my thing. Chocolate is also my thing along with making and bringing in sugary, chocolatey goods so now was my time to go as overboard as possible.

I tried to pack as much chocolate in here as possible. Make these and you will be treated to Cadbury Marvellous Creations, Malteaster Bunnies, Minstrels, mini Munchies and Nutella. I'll admit right now that I had eaten one before I'd taken a single photo. The two leftover at the end of the day were left with another friend who is always happy to help me out by removing cake temptation. It was necessary trust me. They would have been gone before supper if I'd kept them.

Normally I cut a tray of brownies into 9 and not 16 and even with the amount of chocolate contained within these I would have done so but there were too many people who I knew would want to try them. I had to make sure as many people as possible got a piece after all seeing as I'm gone now for six weeks and I can't guarantee that I'll be able to bring things in during my final year. I'm glad I made them. They may even have topped the successes of my rather cute Mini Blackberry Bakewell Tarts. If a group of people eating and Mmm-mmmmmming over brownies at 9:10 am is anything to go by.

In taste and texture they are perfection. I based them off my favourite brownie recipe which I'm mega pleased with. One day I promise I will share it with you but for now I hope you will be happy with these sqaures of gooey, dark and fudgy wholesomeness embellished with melted rich milk chocolate, chunks of sugar shelled creaminess, bolders of caramel wrapped biscuits and finished with nectarous drizzled Nutella.

I'm notorious for finding faults in everything I make but hand on heart these brownies are perfect. The photos are a different matter. Now I'm not complaining - I'm still slowly learning but I got a bit frustrated by the fact that when I edited these, the resized versions were grainy so I've had to revert back to slow loading large files. However, I'm too pleased with these not to share them with you so I'll take the rooky mistake and live with it. One day I'll learn how to stop that happening. In the meantime, I have six weeks of baking, blogging and shopping to look forward to. Stuff the assignments.


print recipe

Overloaded Chocolate Party Brownies
Dark gooey brownies holding a whole host of chocolate flavours and textures finished with a drizzle of Nutella.
Ingredients
  • 140g milk chocolate - something with bits in e.g. Cadbury Marvellous Creations
  • 85g butter
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 70g self-raising flour
  • 55g cocoa powder
  • 60g Malteaster Bunnies, roughly chopped
  • Approx 75g Minstrels, roughly chopped
  • Approx 75g mini Munchies
  • Approx 50g Minstrels, whole
  • Nutella, to finish
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C and line a 8" square cake tin with baking paper.2. Melt the milk chocolate and butter together and set aside to cool slightly. Whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until frothy then mix in the melted chocolate.3. Sift and fold in the flour and cocoa until just combined then fold in the chopped Bunnies and Minstrels. Pour into the lined tin and level then sprinkled over the whole Minstrels and Munchies.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 mins then cool completely in the tin on a wire rack. A cake tester inserted into the centre will come out with gooey crumbs stuck to it.5. When ready to serve, remove from the tin and lining paper, warm the Nutella and drizzle over the brownies before cutting into squares.

I'm sharing these brownies with AlphaBakes, this month hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes who alternates with Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker. This much chocolate is perfect for a party which is why I'm sharing fitting them to the P theme.

I'm also linking this up to CookBlogShare hosted by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes for any homemade goods.

21 comments:

  1. Woaaahhhh, these look insanely good. Now that's how to go out with a bang! I love how each brownie slab is rammed with extra chocolate pieces. The drizzling of nutella finishes them off perfectly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you. Can you tell I realllllllly like chocolate? And to think, I was considering leaving off the Nutella!

      Delete
  2. The brownies look very decadent but tasty! A perfect end of placement treat.

    I wouldn't worry about the slow image loading as I've never had a problem with it on your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, that's good to hear =)

      Delete
  3. I want to work in your lab if you bring in treats like these - oh my goodness gracious me!!! Want! :D How are you editing your photos? I found when I was with blogger they compressed the images somewhat so they weren't of as good quality. I had to over sharpen them to make them useable. You could try adding your photos to Flickr or the like and adding them to your post via the url? I think some bloggers do that to keep the images of a lower file size but high quality. I do find your site takes awhile to load (but my laptop is rubbish so it could be that - I get such laptop rage!) I just persevere because I want to see what lovely things you've been making! The new font is much easier to read too, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you. I'm using Fotor at the moment though I wasn't aware that blogger compressed images - that's something to think about. Good idea to use the URL too. Not sure what is happening with the font though because I haven't changed it since last June, I think maybe it doesn't load properly every time so you end up with a curly font - that happens to me sometimes which is really annoying. Thank you for all your advice though. I really appreciate it =)

      Delete
  4. I think the photos look great! And as for the brownies? They are probably the most loaded brownies I have seen..... And that's a good thing! Might just have to make something like this myself.... dribble dribble.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. These brownies might be OTT but sometimes that is a good thing I reckon!

      Delete
  5. These look deliciously evil!! Could sink my teeth into those right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. They are really hard not to when they are right in front of you!

      Delete
  6. O My! This is right down my alley! I'm a chocoholic, so I think you got me covered! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, chocoholics together! Glad you like it Kim =)

      Delete
  7. I agree with everyone here - these look amazing and definitely perfect for a party. I'm a self confessed choc-a-holic so this is right up my streets. Brownies are the perfect blank canvas to work with. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How good do those look. I adore things like this, wish I could reach through the screen and grab one! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always enjoy linking up.

      Delete
  9. No wonder you call them overloaded with all these lovely chocolate ingredients! These would go down a storm at any party - thanks for entering Alphabakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) well, my reasoning was that any party of mine would feature chocolate in a big way so I had to include as much as possible!

      Delete
  10. Did you know you can shorten your long urls with Shortest and receive $$$$$$ for every visitor to your short links.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!