Sunday, 6 July 2014

Fiery Ginger Flapjack

Have you ever been recovering from something, an illness say or a particularly exhausting ordeal, and you knew, absolutely knew, that no matter how tired and weak you were feeling you had to bake? That is exactly what happened with this Fruit and Veg Cake and it happened again with this flapjack.

I'm not about to wail and moan that I've been at deaths door and as such deserve all your sympathy. Not one bit because that is besides the point and anyway, details of illness are never pretty. The actual point is that even though I had been feeling pretty pathetic I was too stubborn to sit on the sofa reading blogs and rest as I probably should have been. I had already given up my Saturday morning of blog prop hunting at the market as a nod to recuperating so there was no way in hell I was going to give up baking something my taste buds were crying out for. I would find the energy somehow and pay the price later.
Anyhow, when you have been ill (sorry, I know it sounds like I'm looking for sympathy with all this repetition) you are supposed to be kind to yourself and eat what you fancy as it is your body's way of telling you what it needs to make it feel better. That's may excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it. Feel free to use it for yourself one day if necessary! We'll just ignore the fact that I'm constantly fancying chocolate and by body can't need that much that often....
Speaking of chocolate, I did consider drizzling some over the top of these squares but I'm so glad I didn't. They are perfect as they are in their simplicity. Perfect in my book anyway. We recently had a discussion in the office as to what texture people like for their flapjack. We had some voting for crumbly, some for chewy and a couple from crunchy. While I'm not going to refuse any sort of good flapjack, my allegiances are with the crunchy on the edges and chewy towards the middle camp. This is easy to create - just use a thinner layer in a bigger tin.
I think I'm going to have to make this again some time soon to take into the office after that particular discussion. I can't go sharing this batch though. That would be highly irresponsible of me in cases there were any traces of ailment left that might have contaminated these. I wouldn't want anyone else to feel unwell so I'll just have to eat all these myself. Ahem.
Satisfying the need for a contrast of textures  the crunchy edges gravitate towards a soft, chewy centre while nuggets of stem ginger hide amongst the edifying goodness of oats allowing a ground ginger fire to permeate throughout each and every portion. I'd say it is going to be a challenge to eat the whole batch myself but I'd be lying. There's no point in hiding it - I love to share what I've baked but this time round I'm going to enjoy the opposite. Time to put the kettle on.


print recipe

Fiery Ginger Flapjack
A delicious crunchy edged, chewy centred flapjack with an unmistakeable fiery ginger flavour.
Ingredients
  • 1 ball stem ginger, grated
  • 115g butter or buttery margarine
  • 85g soft dark brown sugar
  • 85g golden syrup (I substitued 40g for syrup from the ginger jar)
  • 225g porridge oats
  • 1 tbsp ground ginger
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and grease a baking tin - I used a 9" ungreased silicone one.2. Place the grated ginger, butter, sugar and syrup in a pan and melt together over a low heat. Mix the the oats and ground ginger.3. Press into the tin and level off then bake in the preheated oven for 15-30 mins depending on your chosen tin size and texture preferences. I baked mine for 25 mins. 4. Cool in the tin on a wire rack before turning out and slicing into pieces.
I'm sharing this flapjack with Tea Time Treats where this month Jane from The Hedgecombers has set the theme of Flapjacks and Traybakes. This is a super simple example but so delicious to eat. Karen from Lavender and Lovage also hosts on alternate months. 




I'm also submitting these to CookBlogShare, a link party run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes where you can share anything you've made - there's always lots to see!

17 comments:

  1. Love me a little bit of flapjack! Never made any though. I think this has to change... and soon. I am of the chewy / crunchy flapjack allegiance myself - these look perfect!
    Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare – check out the other entries on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/supergolden88/cookblogshare/
    and Google+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107696809290414888934

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Homemade flapjack is an absolute must especially as it is so easy and customisable to your own tastes. And thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  2. Nothing beats home-made flap jack. I have never had a shop one anywhere near as good. And I reckon a whole tray of this one should get you on the mend! The ginger sounds absolutely perfect.............. I would happily munch a slice (who cares about the bug traces?) right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you =) I'm sure it is safe really but you know, I'd best not take chances =D I'll make it up some other time!

      Delete
  3. Fiery ginger is always good - better than medicine! Hope you're feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my excuse for making it when I should have been conserving energy! And thank you =)

      Delete
  4. These look amazing! Ever since we have lived in the UK my boyfriend goes nuts for flapjacks, but I have never made them myself... maybe I should give it a try, he would so love it :D
    by the way, I am also a scientist (biology) and also feeling like the kitchen is my lab, love to experiment in it!
    love, rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for scientists! I think it must be our inquisitive nature which makes us want to continue our experiments outside of the lab, that's the excuse I use at least. I hope you get to try making flapjack soon - it's so easy you'll be sure to be making it again often. You could even eat it warm for pudding with some custard too =)

      Delete
  5. I admire you. When I'm sick, I just want to wallow. No baking at all! Though it would be nice if someone could bake for me!
    These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I know the feeling and if I had been at home instead of uni I would've been the same but there was nobody to look after me then. Also I'm really stubborn and refused to believe I couldn't do it! Thank you, they made the exhaustion worthwhile =)

      Delete
  6. I love ginger and flapjacks and most probably would love these too! This has been featured as one of my favourites over at Sweet and Savoury Sunday. Stop by, grab a button and link up again with us this week. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much! On all accounts =) I'll look forward to linking up again =)

      Delete
  7. Aaah nuggets of stem ginger are so much more satisfying than ground ginger in any ginger bake! And surely the fiery heat of them is almost medicinal, so should be prescribed for any throat based ailments anyway? (that's what I'm telling myself next time I have them!) I also love the logic of baking when ill = eat them all yourself! Hope you are all better now anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I will use the same excuse as well so you aren't alone =D And thank you, yes I'm all better now.

      Delete
  8. Wouldn't these make the absolute best treat when you're ill with a cold or flu? All that ginger would unblocj your sinuses at 50 paces!
    Thanks for sharing with tea Time Treats :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so too! Ad of course when you're ill it's perfectly acceptable to eat extra pieces of something which might make you better =)

      Delete
  9. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals sent to your cell phone daily.

    Start following our signals today and make up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!