Sunday, 22 June 2014

Five Ingredient Dark Chocolate Gluten Free Fudgy Brownies

For my dinner today I tried out a recipe from one of my favourite blogs. It was was for a chicken and avocado quinoa salad with a healthy citrus dressing. I made enough to take for lunch tomorrow too only it turns out I don't like avocado. Or healthy salad dressings. Thank goodness for these brownies.

I had such high hopes for this salad. It was so healthy, packed full of protein and vitamins and supposedly very filling too. I still love the blog it came from which is why I'm not naming and shaming, and still want to make almost every recipe from it, but this salad is definitely one which will not be written down in my recipe notebook to be repeated. Unlike these brownies.

I don't care how good for my skin avocados are. I don't care how much fun it is to cut around the shape and twist the two halves until you feel the pop of one side coming free. Currently I only care how much of a success these brownies were.

Ever since I made these gluten free Chocolate Mousse Brownies (back in the days when I thought I could get away with iPad photos) I've wanted to use the egg and sugar whisking technique again. On the curse wonder that is Pinterest I've got pinned a number of other brownie techniques that I've also wanted to try and me being me I thought why not combine them all in one recipe. It was a gamble that paid off. Don't you love it when you get something right first time?

All these brownies require is a short list of five ingredients. Incredible but true. I had intended to put a splash of homemade vanilla extract  in there too put I completely forgot even though it was out on the side ready and waiting. Feel free to add it yourself but it really isn't necessary. These brownies are prefect as they are.

Normally I'd describe my brownies as gooey. I have my perfect recipe for that sort which I based my Peanut Butter Brownies off, as well as the caramel loaded brownies which I need to revisit to photograph but this weekends bake would not be justified by such an epithet. Fudgy is the only word for these. Fudgy beyond heavenly belief. Profoundly rich and midnight dark, you need to be careful the sheer strength of such a chocolate hit doesn't send you over the edge into a fathomless abyss where there are no more brownies to be found. The only solution to that is a second helping. You might even want to scrape the lining paper to gather up crumbs clinging there. Don't ask me how I know that. 

You might think that the amount of cocoa used to replace the usual suspect of flour would turn these alluring beauties bitter but that isn't the case. The nuggets of milk chocolate raiating through the mixture and those scattered on top as soon as the tray comes out of the oven add just enough creamy sweetness to remove any such possibility. This minimal amount of added chocolate means they would be incredibly easy to make dairy as well as gluten free but if you have no such concerns then so be it. All the sooner you can be devouring the goodness. You senses will thank you.


print recipe

Five Ingredient Dark Chocolate Gluten Free Fudgy Brownies
Deep and dark chocolate brownies with an incredibly fudgy texture and studded with milk chocolate. Scatter more on top fresh from the oven to reward yourself with pools of molten chocolate.
Ingredients
  • 3 eggs, medium or large
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 120 ml oil, sunflower or olive
  • 125g cocoa powder
  • 50g + 50g milk chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line an 8" square baking tin.2. Whisk the eggs and sugar using an electric mixture until pale and mousse like and the whisk leaves a ribbon trail when lifted from the mixture. Gently mix in the oil.3. Sift and fold in the cocoa, followed by one portion of the chocolate chips - the mixture will be thick.4. Spread the mixture into the tin, level off and bake for about 30 - 35 mins in the preheated oven - a cake tester inserted into the middle will still have mixture clinging to it - this is perfect.5. Scatter the remaining chocolate on top and cool in the tin on a wire rack unless you want to eat warm, in which case cool for as long as you can wait.

Just to add, I'm sharing these with few challenges. I owuld like to thank Michelle at Utterly Scrummy Food for Families for choosing the theme of gluten free for this months We Should Cocoa, the creation of Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog. The theme gave me the push to try an idea I've had for ages. 

Also, Vardhini at Cooks Joy hosts Bake Fest, a monthly link up event for vegetarian and vegan recipes and one which I'm glad to be entering for the first time.

It's my first time sharing with Javelin Warrior's Made with Love Mondays where everything should be made from scratch as I usually forget to add my post so I hope these brownies are acceptable.
P.S. If you like this post can I suggest these ones too...

20 comments:

  1. That is one rich looking brownie. It looks very fudgy. And only five ingredients? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only after I'd written the ingredients list in my notebook that I realised just how simple these brownies were going to be! They're really hard to just eat one of and are fudgy right to the edges instead of getting that little bit of cakeyness that some brownies get at the edges!

      Delete
  2. These look so rich and fudgy! Lovely photographs too.

    I don't like avocado either. I thought I was the only one! Everyone else seems to rave about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I questioned whether I hadn't left the avocado long enough to ripen but I think even if I had left it longer I'd still hate it. Maybe if I hide the taste in a batch of 'healthy' gooey cake?!

      Delete
  3. Wow, these brownies look sooo good. I like how they have milk chocolate chips to cut with the chocolatyness; not that too much chocolate would be a bad thing, but this seems like a nice balance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I was trying to go for balance, you know, something which would appeal to most people =)

      Delete
  4. These look FAB! What kind of chocolate have you sprinkled on the top? It looks peanut buttery! Yum, yum, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was actually Dairy Milk, though a peanut butter version could only be a good thing! Somehow I managed to save the last couple of lines of the bar from a previous bake....

      Delete
  5. I love that you've managed to swap out the flour for cocoa and I have no doubt these are intensely chocolatey! And with milk chocolate as sweet as it it, I can't imagine these being bitter. Love the simplicity and thanks so much for sharing with Made with Love Mondays! Welcome to the series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased I've finally linked p and hopefully will do so more in the future =)

      Delete
  6. What an intensely chocolatey hit these delicious Brownies must be! And I TOTALLY agree- I'd take a plateful of these Brownies over an avocado salad any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  7. These look so rich and fudgy, I really want one now to accompany my cuppa! Thanks so much for sharing this fab recipe and linking up with We Should Cocoa this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can confirm that they do go well with a cup of tea. I, erm, tested that theory once or twice!

      Delete
  8. I have to admit I love avocado and I quite often sit spooning one out for lunch! This looks like a great bake for cutting up and giving as presents or selling at a summer fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite disappointed thati don't like it because avocado is so good for you but each to their own! I think you're right, these would be good to slice up and sell or gift and would appeal to coeliacs and wheat eaters alike

      Delete
  9. Oh Laura, these brownies look and sound incredible. It's true your photos have come on in leaps and bounds and these are fantastic. I have now bookmarked this recipe because it just has to be tried - as soon as possible I reckon! Thanks for joining in with WSC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, that means so much! I hope you enjoy them if you do get to try them and I'd love to hear the results!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!