Saturday, 7 June 2014

Childhood Smarties Cookies

After the length of my last post for Chocolate Traybake with Chocolate Chip Brown Sugar Coookie Dough Icing this is going to be  much quicker and shorter post. I think. Maybe. Anyways, I made cookies!

I'm not going to pretend this recipe for Smarties cookies produced the ultimate cookie or anything like that. I do have one of those recipes which is my favourite chocolate chip cookie and the one I based these Aero Bubbles Chip Cookies off but for this bake I had the craving to make something just like from my childhood so that meant a different version.

I rang my mum up and made her go in search of this particular recipe. I've no idea where it came from but I do know that I used it, and its listed variations, loads as a child and while my mum was at work an I wanted to surprise her. I can't be 100% certain that it is the same recipe I used to make Smarites cookies as a kid but I think it must be because I remember one time I was left to bake on my own and I didn't know what tsp meant so I ended up using a tablespoon instead and I distinctly remember adding 2 tbsp of baking powder. Yep, imagine the taste. And yet my wonderful mother still ate them AND let me loose again in her kitchen after that semi disaster.

Many years later and I'm now quite sure that tsp means teaspoon and tbsp means tablespoon. I never made that mistake again! This recipe is so easy it's plain to see why I was left along to get on with them in my happy bubble. Literally bung everything in a bowl, quickly mix, stir in the Smarties and bake in balls. A perfect recipe for children of all ages. It's no wonder I fit these in after uni one day. Admittedly I couldn't really be bothered with photos this time because it was more about the bake. They were still delicious though! 

You might think the cookie balls are too greasy but trust me they don't feel like that once bake. They produce a beautifully light vanilla-caramel flavoured cookie with just that little bit of resistance on the outsides before entering the soft crumb underneath. The ideal base for the bright and crunchy suagr shells of Smarties. The best bit? As an adult nobody can tell mem off if I eat too many of the Smarties before they reach the mixing bowl! 



print recipe

Childhood Smarties Cookies
An all in one method recipe to bring out the nastalgic feelings of childhood or to pass along to little ones of your own. Add in as many variations as you want!
Ingredients
  • 115g plain flour
  • 45g self-raising flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 25g dark soft brown sugar
  • 80g caster sugar
  • Dribble of vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 tubes of Smarties (approx 115g)
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 190 C/170 C fan and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper (only bake one tray at a time if your oven doesn't haven an even temperature at the top and bottom.)2. Place all the ingredients (excpet the Smarties) into a bowl and mix briefly until small clumps form with an electric mixture. Stir in most of the Smarties, saving some for decoration. 3. Form the cookie dough into balls approx 30g each and place on the baking trays. Bake for 12-14 mins until light golden brown. On taking them from the oven press a few reserved Smarties into the tops then cool on a wire rack.
I'm sharing these with Treat Petite this month where Stuart from Cakeyboi has set the theme of Childhood Memories. Hosting duties are shared with Kat from The Baking Explorer. It's going to be interesting to see what bakes everyone links with their childhood!


18 comments:

  1. Smarties always look so pretty on baked stuff. These cookies look very tempting and so very childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just what I was going for =)

      Delete
  2. I was thinking about making Smarties cookies for the challenge too! They look gorgeous and you just can't stop at one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, it'll be good to see the differences in the recipes! I know what you mean, there are certain people at uni that demonstrated that for sure haha!

      Delete
  3. My mum used to make these too! Damn, now I really, really want one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welllll, they don't take long. So the perfect excuse to get in the kitchen!

      Delete
  4. This does make me quite nostalgic, I loved these! It makes me happy to just look at them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies are so fun! So cheerful and bright--now I want to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm childhood or not i could happily scoff these down!! they look so bright and cheery too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, true. No excuses necessary to eat several of these!

      Delete
  7. Aaaah now these don't take my back to my childhood, but they do take me back to my baking childhood, as they were the first thing I ever baked! This has reminded me how quick, easy and tasty they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad. What better excuse to get in the kitchen to bake a batch?!

      Delete
  8. Laura, thanks for entering these into Treat Petite! Smarties were a big hit in my childhood also. These look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were such fun to make =)

      Delete
  9. Such a great recipe for the childhood memories theme! Smarties were also a favourite sweet for me growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how they can go in/on so many things. I have an itching to make a Smarites traybake - all the recipes I have and that's the one that caught my eye the last time I was flicking through my loose recipe file!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!