Monday, 5 May 2014

Coffee and Walnut Cake - A Classic British Recipe

I should not be trusted with chocolate sprinkles. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that I cannot leave chocolate alone if it is one of my ingredients but it turns out that I am no better with chocolate based sprinkles. I'll let you keep your vermicelli but for everything else I should be under strict supervision when adding it to the decoration. I nearly left them off this cake but I'm glad I didn't because I swear they make it. Cherry on the top so to speak. 
 Except it's a coffee flavoured chocolate coffee bean. See. 
 After yet another episode of getting distracted, probably while I was supposed to be revising I came across this collection of traditional British recipes. For some reason the coffee and walnut cake caught my eye and I decided that this was what I had to make next. And this time I was going to stick to the recipe before I Laurafied it.
Ok so let's not get ridiculous here. I mostly  stuck to the recipe. But I have plans. Lots of plans. 
Mum didn't end up baking the entire time I was at home over Easter but I don't think she minded. She was out in the garden (her other love) most of the time and both cakes I mind turned out really well. The other one will hopefully appear on here soon, revision/panic status allowing. But let's not think about that. Let's think about how delicious this coffee and walnut cake is.
Strong, hearty coffee give a well rounded flavour throughout while the home-ground walnuts add moisture as well as colour and texture with the flecks and mini nuggets of nut. Then fill the sandwich with the fluffiest, most richly coffee flavoured buttercream, top with decorative rosette buttercream swirls and add the all important coffee bean sprinkles. Dust with icing sugar and a teaspoon of ground coffee granules for a last, lingering, intense coffee hit and you will soon find yourself going back for another slice.

Don't say I didn't warn you.


print recipe

Coffee and Walnut Cake
A soft, moist coffee flavoured sponge made with ground walnuts and filled with a light and fluffy coffee buttercream.
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 175g soft margarine
  • 175g dark soft brown sugar
  • 150g self-raising flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 100g ground walnuts
  • 2 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tbsp milk
For the buttercream:
  • 100g butter, softened
  • 250g icing sugar
  • 2 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tbsp milk
To decorate:
  • Coffee bean shaped sprinkles
  • 1 rounded tsp icing sugar
  • 1 rounded tsp instant coffee granules
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Grease and line 2 8" round cake tins.2. Place all the cake ingredients into a bowl and mix together until smooth. Don't overmix. Divide between the cake tins and bake for about 25 mins until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Carefully turn out fo the tins and cool on a wire rackk.3. For the buttercream, beat the butter until pale and creamy then sift in the icing sugar a bit at a time, beating well in between each addition. Beat in the coffee milk and mix until light and fluffy.4. Place one cake half onto a plate and spread 2/3 of the buttercream on top. Place the other cake half on top, press down very gently and pipe the remaining buttercream into rosettes around the edge. Decorate with the coffee beans then dust with the icing sugar followed by the ground coffee granules.

6 comments:

  1. It's years since I had coffee & walnut cake..... such a classic and this one looks quite delicious. Bet your Mum was thrilled to spend time in the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved it, kept really busy in her greenhouse =) why not try making it with your gluten free flour mix and let me know how it turns out? I'm sure it would be lovely and work well.

      Delete
    2. I might just do that Laura...... I've booked-marked in my must make list!! I'm about due for a coffee cake!

      Delete
    3. Brilliant! I'll look forward to hearing the results =)

      Delete
  2. One of my favourite combinations. Looks lovely and substantial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I'd love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!