Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Chocolate Chilli Loaf Cake - Quick, Easy and Less than £1

A chocolate chilli cake recipe is something I've wanted to give a go for a loooooong time. Pretty much ever since I had my first experience of Lindt chilli chocolate I've wanted to try it. I even got to try chocolate in chilli which I then put into a pie (oh yes!) before I got around to making the cake version but now I have, it was worth the wait. 

When I saw a challenge to make a cake for less than £1 I immediately got thinking. Even if I couldn't enter any other baking challenges this month due to time constraints, I knew I had to enter this one.

I was originally going to use the chance to test out a developed recipe I wanted to try but then I remembered this one which I saw in Great British Bake Off: How to Bake. Stupidly, it's one of the books that I left at home, reasoning that I didn't need yet another distraction while I am supposed to be doing uni work but of course, I set my heart on baking one of the recipes from it. 

My mum is a star. I rang her up and she went searching for it for me, despite my room at home being in upheaval at the moment because Mum decided she wanted to change everything. Love you Mum!

I had to adapt it slightly to keep it under £1 but adaptions are inevitable anyway with me. As far as distractions go, baking this was one of the best. It turned out beautifully. A moist, springy, velvety crumb with a delicious milk chocolate flavour. The hint of chilli comes through just enough to kick the flavour to the next level while not being in the slightest bit overpowering. 

Seriously, I did not expect it to turn out so well and I've no idea where the milk chocolate flavour came from seeing as it only contains cocoa. This must be a magic cake. Whatever happened, I'm super pleased it did. I was considering adding a drizzle glaze but it really doesn't need it. The beauty comes from it being so simple - just wait until you see the recipe. It's a naked cake if you will. Fresh from the oven the top has a sumptuous crust promising a delightfully soft crumb underneath the slight crunch but on leaving to stand overnight it softens to a supple, slightly sticky topping. This was the deciding factor. No glaze needed. This time.

After a day of revision this cake was the perfecct way to relax - I couldn't have been more pleased with it. Roll on May 13th at 4:30pm. I'm sick of going over notes and past papers and planning a poster presentation in my head. It has already been stated that after that exam we are all going to the pub across the road from uni which will be lovely, seeing all the people who haven't been around because they have been on placement elsewhere. But for now I have cake.



print recipe

Chocolate Chilli Loaf Cake
A moist, light chocolate cake flavoured with just enough of a hint of chilli to add that somehting extra that takes it to the next level. Quick and easy to make for as little as 97p.
Ingredients
  • 190 ml milk, whichever you prefer, mixed with 10 ml vinegar - 8p
  • 1 tbsp mild chilli powder - 5p
  • 220g plain flour - 7p
  • 30g cocoa powder - 18p
  • 2 tsp baking powder - 2p
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda - 1p
  • 120 ml oil, sunflower or olive - 15p
  • 200g granulated sugar - 15p
  • 2 large eggs - 26p
Instructions
1. Set oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.2. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and use a hand whisk to mix until just evenly combined.3. Pour into the loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hr until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack in the tin.4. Slice and serve. I told you it was easy!

As I've mentioned, this cake cost less than £1 for its ingredients. The challenge was set forth by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog for this months We Should Cocoa challenge. Lidl is your friend here and Sainsburys basic eggs which are still RSPCA approved despite being cheap. I'm lucky in that there are five supermarkets surrounding my uni so I can go to different places to get the bext prices for things.  
Seeing as I've had my eye on the original recipe since I got the book, I'm sharing this with Jacqueline's Bookmarked Recipes over at Tinned Tomatoes. The source is Great British Bake Off: How to Bake by Linda Collister.

Even though cake is a treat, at less than £1 I think it still qualifies for the Credit Crunch Much challenge, the brain child of Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla at Fab Food 4 All. The host for May is Gingey Bites.
 

 

12 comments:

  1. I was about to leave a comment anyway and then I noticed you are also entering Credit Crunch Munch - thank you so much! This cake sounds amazing, one to bookmark for sure:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much! If you make it I'd love to know what you think =)

      Delete
  2. Oh very well done Laura. Your cake looks delicious indeed and as a chilli fan I reckon this one is for me. You did well on sourcing such low cost ingredients. I think I'm going to have to bookmark this recipe too. Thanks for joining in with this WSC challenge despite being in the middle of exams. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, for both the cake and the good luck wishes =) I'm making such a fuss over this exam, goodness knows what I'm going to be like in my final year! I suspect this blog will be full of moans as well as cake recipes!

      Delete
  3. Ha! Love the addition of chilli! This looks absolutely amazing.... so moist and all for 97p! I am about to post my cheap offering too...... I got really stuck with the flour bit being gluten free........... 220g flour for 7p? I got 25g!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I can see how gluten free flour would be a problem but whatever you have managed to make will be lovely I'm sure and clever too =)

      Delete
  4. Firstly good luck for your exams! Secondly this cake looks incredible and all for 97p! Love the addition of chilli - clever way to get flavour in. I have yet to decide what to do with mine as I'm struggling with the costs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much on both accounts! I know you'll come up with something gorgeous for yours - I know how creative you can be from all your Biscuit Barrel and other challenge entries =)

      Delete
  5. I love that chocolate and I like chocolate with chili too. Your cake looks lovely and moist, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks like a winner to me - I am really struggling to come up with a cake for this month's We Should Cocoa so I am watching everyone else's with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it =) sometimes adaptation is the best way forward and you end up creating something new and amazing from just a few small changes so fingers crossed for you!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I'd love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!