Monday, 30 December 2013

Turkey, Ham and Veg Baked Risotto - Leftovers!

I couldn't let 2014 begin without posting about at least one Christmas leftovers recipe and seeing as nobody would listen to me if I tried to prolong the arrival of the new year just to fit in more recipes I thought I had best get on with it. We normally have the majority of the cold meats on sandwiches or reheated in gravy with some veg and mash but I really wanted to experiment. I've mentioned before that my mum is a traditionalist and even more so with savoury things so I have to go very carefully when I try an experimental dinner. For a couple of years I've wanted to try a turkey and ham lasagne but there was no chance this year. I didn't think it was a good idea to do anything too rich either with an overly cheesy sauce so that put to rest the gratin  plans. On the way back from sales shopping (thorough disappointment) I tentatively asked Mum if rice would be acceptable for dinner and having received a cautious affirmative, I give you Leftovers Risotto!

Don't ask me why I thought these pictures were any good. By the time I realised it was too late to take more so please take my word for it that this is delicious. And my dad's word. He finished off Mum's after licking his own dish. Licking the dish with his eyes I mean. None of that is allowed at our table. Unless my brother Christopher is here for dinner and Mum turns her back for half a second. The joys of family.

Flavoursome without being heavy. Filling yet healthy. And it creates space in the fridge when there are the last remnants of meat in tubs and on plates. You don't have to use turkey and ham, sprouts and carrots. Use whatever meat and veg you want rid off. The crumbly looking topping is crushed goats cheese biscuits that Mum got in a hamper from her boss that wouldn't have been used otherwise. I thought they were an ideal finish but crushed crisp or stale breadcrumbs would be good too. The veg could be leftover cooked stuff as well but we never have leftover veg because Mum only ever does just enough. Go with what you want and how many people you are serving as well as hunger levels. This was for three - a normalish (me) person, one who likes risottos occasionally (Mum) and a continually hungry father. Enjoy!

I was very kindly reminded by Elizabeth from Elizabeths's Kitchen Diary, the host this month of the No Waste Food Challenge, that this would be a perfect entry which was pretty silly of me to forget seeing as I love the challenge and seeing how people get creative to reduce waste. Kate from Turquoise Lemons is the creator of the challenge - both are brilliant blogs.
 

print recipe

Turkey, Ham and Veg Baked Risotto
A little effort dinner to use up meat and veg leftovers while maintaining all the flavour.
Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
  • 15 sprouts, dirty leaves removed then quartered
  • ground black pepper
  • ground nutmeg
  • parsley
  • 100g rice, long grain or risotto
  • leftover cooked ham, shredded
  • leftover cooked turkey, shredded
  • One pint veg stock
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • 1 scoop Philadelphia
  • spray oil, for frying
Instructions
1. Heat a frying pan while the oven heats to 200 C/180 C fan. Spray with a little oil then add the onions. Start tio soften then add the carrots and sprouts. Add pepper, nutmeg and parsley to taste then stir together and leave, covered until the onon has softened a little longer.2. Transfer the veg to a large oven-proof dish and mix in the meat. Add the stock, stir together carefully and over with a lid or with foil. Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins, adding more stock if it is all absorbed before the rice is cooked.3. For the final 10-15 mins, uncover the risotto, stir in the Philadelphia and mustard and sprinkle over the crushed biscuits or crisps. Return to the oven until the topping is well browned and the rice is cooked. Serve sprinkled with a little cheese if wished.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like an excellent way to use up leftover roast dinner (and it'd be a perfect entry into this month's no waste food challenge, if you wanted to link up! :) Happy New Year Laura, and all the best for 2014 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, thank you for the reminder! I've updated the post now. Happy New Year to you too! =)

      Delete
  2. Great idea for using leftovers. Mum usually makes a leftover pie but a risotto sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of leftovers pie. We've christened it Jumble Pie in our house!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of this risotto. And most of all you are recycling ingredients which are not going to be thrown away.
    A beautiful and tasty bake Laura. Happy new year! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much and a a happy New Year to you too =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!