Sunday, 13 October 2013

Ginger Bonfire Toffee Crinkles

A week is far too long to go when you have baking and blogging on you mind every minute of every day. Faaaaar too long. This week has been extremely tiring for me (largely from not sleeping but my sleep problems are a whole different story) and I've been dying to bake these biscuits for so long now but haven't had the time. Friday evening though I was determined. I was going to bake and neglect my assignments and that was all there was too it. So I did bake. And got everything ready for an overnight slow cooker meal. And I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Big smiles come bed time for the first time this week.

I found this recipe on Pinterest and knew right away I had to make them. Ginger biscuits are very popular in my family and although I made these in my uni house rather than at home I made sure I thought of everyone when I took a bite of the first one. Then of the second and ok, maybe third. They really are very, very good so a big hats off to Willow at Will Cook for Friends for the wonderful recipe. Of course, I couldn't follow the recipe letter for letter. I think I would actually turn to stone if I did that. I didn't have any cloves so threw in a bit more mixed spice and I used black treacle instead of molasses. I know some people argue there is a big difference between the two but seeing as I couldn't get hold of any molasses and I was dying to make these anyway my whole attitude was 'meh, same difference'. If that sort of thought annoys you then I'm sorry for that and I hope you can forgive me once you've tried these. 

I had to rename them (another sorry, this time to Willow) because the first thing I thought of when I tried one warm from the oven was bonfire toffee lollies. A ginger version of course because there is a lot of ginger in these. Lots.
In hindsight it wasn't very clever of me to take a picture of woody coloured fresh ginger on top of a wooden chopping board. Anyways, the combination of the treacle and ginger works wonderfully. Bonfire lollies were something I looked forward to in the autumn and there was a particular type I favoured. They were big and oblongish and sort of striped with different shades of bonfire glory. That is a terrible description but I'm having to do this from memory because I haven't had one for so long. My dad once bought be back two stuck together in a bag after he had been on the trucks for a week. It was a very happy night that night. Sadly, that particular type seemed to disappear from the shops and the bigish but circuar ones became more prevailant. Disappointingly they have a slightly different flavour which is nice in it's own right, but not the be all and end all for me. If I ever do find the exact right ones again I'll be running back to the shop to buy them all before they disappear again. In the meantime, I will have to make repeat batches of these biscuits to make up for it. 

Dark, chewy, comforting and a kick of warmth from the triple amounts of ginger, these go perfectly with a cup of tea. I've extensively tested this fact and am pleased to report that although deliciously chewy, they are perfect for dunking. Instead of going immediately to mush, they soak up enough tea to dissolve on the tongue, releasing all the flavours of autmun you could desire while remaining in tact long enough to make the transfer from liquid to mouth. I knew I would not be disappointed when I first pinned these. I'm just not sure if I am at the stage where I want to share them with people at uni. You know when you go past the point of wanting to keep them all for yourself and arrive at being so pleased you want to proclaim your happiness to anyone who will listen and tast test? Maybe I'll have to sample a few more first just to make sure. 

In the meantime, while I'm deciding, I'm sharing these with a couple of blogging challenges. First of all is my own Biscuit Barrel challenge. I chose the theme of BOOKMARKED recipes for this month so these are ideal to enter. I would absolutely love it if you joined in and shared one of the recipes you've been making too. Just pop over to the Biscuit Barrel page or follow the link and you'll see the details.


I'm also sharing them with Jacqueline over at Tinned Tomatoes for her Bookmarked Recipes challenge this month. It's my second entry and I'm really looking forward to seeing what other people have been making at the end of October.

Hope you enjoy!
 

print recipe

Ginger Bonfire Toffee Crinkles
A deliciously chewy ginger crinkle biscuit with a flavour reminiscent of old fashioned bonfire toffee lollies.
Ingredients
  • 185g plain flour
  • 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 generous tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.5 tsp mixed spice
  • 0.25 tsp nutmeg
  • 120g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
  • 114g unsalted butter. softened
  • 3 very heaped tbsp black treacle
  • 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
  • 114g soft brown sugar
  • brown sugar (for rolling)
Instructions
1. Sift together the flour, bicarb and spices and mix in the crystallised ginger, using a rubbing in motion to disperse it fully. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a baking sheet with baking paper or a silicone mat.2. Cream the butter and sugar until well mixed then beat in the fresh ginger and treacle. Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined - you may nee to do this with a spoon/your hands. The mixture will be fairly sticky. You can chill the dough at this point to reduce stickiness but I didn't want to wait.3. Roll the dough into small balls, roll each in the extra sugar and arrange on the lined sheet. I made 28 biscuits, each 24 to 25g. 4.. Bake the first batch for 10-15 mins depending on size and how soft you want them. I had mine in for 12 mins, turning half way through. Prepare the second batch so it is ready to bake. 5. Cool the biscuits on the tray fro 5 mins to allow them to firm up from their very soft states, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If you can last that long. 

Recipe credit goes to Willow at Will Cook for Friends

7 comments:

  1. My favourite! Treacly gingery goodness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious - three types of ginger and all that lovely treacle! I would probably need to eat the lot in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you like them =) I must admit, it was very difficult not to gobble the lot in one go and they went down very well when I used them as thank you presents too

      Delete
  3. I have found your site to be quite useful. Keep updating your site with in valuable information... Regards

    Advertise your business

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you got to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!