Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Jumble Pie

'Jumble pie? What's that?' I hear you say. You'll be pleased to know that it's a pie of whatever sort you want it to be. This one in particular is chicken, bacon, musroom and sweetcorn in a Philadelphia sauce with a bit of homegrown fresh parsely thrown in for good measure. The pastry is a bit different too, being made partly with oats so in my mind that makes it good for you. I adore pastry and want to cry everytime I hear someone say that the pastry is too thick (yes, I am talking about Eagle Eyes and Silver Fox of GBBO fame). I know pastry isn't the healthiest of carbs to add to your dinner but I can hardly worry about that when I have chosen cake over a washboard tummy. It's probably a good job that my head doesn't agree with my heart that every meal should go in a pie with inch thick double crust pastry or I would be in big trouble by now. It's also probably a good job that my mum isn't a fan of flaky and puff pastries because otherwise I would have abandoned cake a long time ago and turned to all the butter rich danish recipes stashed on my shelves. The most progress I've made with Mum on that front is a grudging acceptance that homemade puff pastry won't be greasy like the factory churned out stuff but a beg for millefeuille still doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Although maybe if I keep mentioning those Sara Lee frozen pecan Danish desert whatsits that we used to buy. I asked if she remembered them last night and a look of happy recognition lit up her face for a second before Dad burst through the door and the moment was lost. Sigh. 

Back to savoury pies (have you noticed I have a preference for sweet stuff yet?!) As much as I like pies I'm not very adventurous with my fillings. Mince or stewing meat are probably my favourites but Jumble Pie is my favourite to make because it comes out different everytime and it means you don't need to feel guilty about the scraps left in the fridge. This makes this post perfect, I hope, for the No Waste Food Challenge, created by Kate over at Turquoise Lemons and hosted currently by Elizabeth of Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. For August and September the theme is 'anything goes' so I've got a feeling I'll be entering more than one recipe this time. Things rarely get thrown out in this house and even then it is usually to the birds. I'm not sure that counts as waste then because Mum enjoys feeding the birds so fun for Mum and no rumbling wildlife tummies is a double plus surely? I'll leave that one open to debate. 


We used to frequently get cooked chickens from the supermarket so chicken was a common theme in Jumble Pie but with the rising prices and shrinking birds we rarely do that now. This one was originally the Sunday roast and Mum didn't fancy risotto so pie it was. I also used up some tinned sweetcorn that I had opened last week for I can't remember what and half a tub of Philadelphia to make a cheats sauce which probably would've got eaten before it grew legs and walked out the the fridge but it made things easy. I'm not sure there is any such thing as leftover bacon because it can be used in so many other dishes and tastes so good, but I opted to use a couple of the slices that my brother graciously left us after having traditional Sunday breakfast with us seeing as he was still visiting. Other leftovers that can easily be used for Jumble Pie are bits of veg that could look better such as mushrooms or leeks or anything else really if you like it along with whatever other filling you are using. The sauce could be something as simple as a thick gravy, a cheese or white sauce, a tin of condensed soup lurking in the back of the cupboard because that flavour needs something else to make it taste nice. That something else is Jumble Pie.

Ingredients:
Omit and add to as desired
4.5oz plain flour
1.5oz oat bran or oatmeal
2.5oz block Stork, cubed
Cold water

Leftover roast chicken, shredded/diced
Chopped fresh parsley or dried, as much as you like
Sweetcorn 
Mushrooms
Bacon slices, trimmed of fat and chopped into pieces
Philadelphia
Milk
Seasoning

  1. Stir the flour and oaty stuff together in a big bowl then rub in the Stork until it looks vaguely like breadcrumbs. 
  2. Stir in enough cold water to bind it together so the pastry is not sticky but not dry/crumbly. Pull off a small bit and set aside for the lid. 
  3. Roll the large piece out on a lightly floured surface until the pastry is big enough to leave lots spare around the edge of your tin. Every so often, lift the edges of the pastry to make sure it isn't sticking to the surface and to relax it. 
  4. Line the tin and trim off the excess pastry flush with the tin edge. 
  5. Add the scraps to the small ball you pulled off earlier and knead it lightly. Roll out again in the same way so that the lid will cover the top of the tin. Set aside while you prepare the filling or cover and pop in the fridge if you don't want to prepare the filling just yet. 
  6. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C fan. Spray a frying pan a little spray oil and peel and slice the mushrooms while it is heating.
  7. Gently fry the onions with the bacon bits, covered with a lid until they are done to your liking and the bacon is cooked. Scrape, with the juices, into a bowl with the chicken chunks and sweetcorn. 
  8. Beat a good scoop of Philly in a bowl with the herbs and seasoning (just pepper for me) and a splash of milk until it is the consistency you like.
  9. Stir in the filling mixture and spoon into the pie dish. 
  10. Damp the edges with water and place the crust on top. Press down around the edge to seal then trim off the excess as before and crimp. Make a steram hole in the middle 
  11. Place on a tray and in the preheated oven for around 25 mins until the pastry is browned and crisp. Serve with gravy, veg, mushy peas, baked beans or whatever else you fancy. 

Enjoy your dinner!

8 comments:

  1. Oh yummy yummy, this is a perfect No Waste Food Challenge entry! Thank you for sharing! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope others think so too =)

      Delete
  2. ooh this looks delicious and exactly like what my mum used to make - she's very good at making 'leftover' pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it =) I think it's worth having leftovers just to see what can be made from them afterwards!

      Delete
  3. Looks great - love the idea of this pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your cell phone every day.

    Start following our signals right now & make up to 270% daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Text Your Ex Back?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!